1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've come out to some friends, but too nervous to come out to my parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ingtheunicorn, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ingtheunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I realised I was a lesbian about a month ago and while it may seem quick, I decided I wanted to come out to a few friends pretty early on. I told my four closest friends in the last week or so. It felt so good, especially to not feel like I was hiding it anymore.

But, I am still hiding it from my family. I am about 99% sure that they will be incredibly supportive and accepting, I even anticipate my Mum being excited. So why am I so nervous? I really really want them to know but I can't find the right time or build up the courage to start that conversation.

How do other people do it? I know I want to tell them individually but how? Just blurt it out or build it up? Would love some advice, thank you!

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think it helps to think about why you're scared to tell them. Sometimes when you're really close to people (like your family) it can feel weird to tell them something new about yourself since they know you so well. Just think of it as something new they get to learn about you because other than that you're obviously not changing who you are.

If you want to tell them face-to-face you could ask each person individually if you could talk to them about something (you could even ask them to set aside time a few days later if that would be easier). That way they'll be giving you their full attention instead of you trying to figure out how and when to bring it up. Then just go from there. You could tell them anything else you want them to know or explain to them beforehand or after and ask them how they feel if you like.
    It's normal to get nervous, so don't worry if it takes a few tries to get the ball rolling.

If you'd rather not do it face-to-face you could always write letters to each person, so you could explain everything you want to without getting interrupted or not saying what you want to say in the moment.

You said your family will probably be really supportive which is awesome and there probably won't be any problems. But sometimes people need time to adjust to someone coming out. So if you tell someone and they act weird or worried it doesn't mean they're rejecting you or not okay with it, they may just need some time to get used to the idea and then they'll be totally fine with it. I think parents just worry a lot too because other people can be homophobic and they don't want their child to have to go through that, so that can be a part of it too sometimes.

But with what you said, it shouldn't be a problem, I just figured I'd add that just in case.
    Good luck!!

3. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, you've made a lot of progress in such a short time. I'm impressed :icon_wink

Before I came out to my parents I was also nervous, even though I was sure they were going to be accepting. Finally what I did was writing a coming out letter and, as I expected, they were supportive.

When people are almost 100% sure that their family are going to be accepting, they're usally right. Anyhow, if you are not still ready, take your time. There's no need to rush.

If you finally decide to have a conversation with them, do it the way you think is correct. (Personally, I wouldn't blurt it out, but that's up to you).

Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. Origamidragons

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's perfectly okay to take you're time coming out. You're doing great so far and don't have to rush at all. Wait until you know you're ready.

5. Majush93

Out Status:
    Some people
    hi :slight_smile:

first of all, congratulation on coming out to your friends :wink:

Second of all, you seem pretty certain that your family will be supportive but you still feel nervous about coming out to them. I want you to know that it's completely normal and okay to feel nervous before coming out. When I was about to come out to my best friend I was also 100% sure that she will be supportive but I was really scared :O

I think it´s natural, you are about to share a "secret" about you that is a big part of you. So it´s okay when you feel nervous I think :slight_smile:

In my opinion it´s good when you want to come out to them individually, it will be probably easier but how to come out to them? I could tell you how I come out to few people from my family but I don´t know if that would help because only you know what feels the most comfortable way for you :wink:

But I would suggest not to rush anything :wink: take your time, choose person you want to tell first (someone you trust the most or you are comfortable with) and choose a day :wink: maybe go out with this person, go for a walk or to the coffe shop or just stay home and watch movie with them. Maybe choose a place which is not so busy.

For example I decided to come out to my best friend when we went to the zoo, after the zoo we went to lunch and that´s when I told her. It wasn´t rushed, we had time to talk :slight_smile: although I was really nervous at the beggining but you just got to overcome your fear :wink: after that it felt amazing :slight_smile:

Maybe start with something like this: "so, I´ve got this secret and I want to tell you" and I think they will start asking your questions (maybe they already kind of know that you are not straight) :wink:

And also :slight_smile: I have read somewhere that some people choose to come out via letters :wink: maybe you would also prefer that way of coming out :wink:

Anyway, good luck and have a amazing day :wink:

6. ingtheunicorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you al so much for your advice and support!

I just got back from a family holiday (Mum, Dad & brother), but I didn't quite work up the courage to tell any of them. I'm a little disappointed in myself but I'm just so nervous I can't make the words come out, or even figure out how to say it. Somehow it didn't feel this scary telling my friends which is perhaps why I did it so quickly but I guess it is still a pretty new realisation - I only realised a month and a half ago.

I really do want to tell my family I just don't know how. How do you even start that conversation?

I don't know if others have experienced this, but I feel like it would be easier if I had started dating a girl. Then perhaps it would be easier to tell them because you'd have this physical proof not just this theoretical thing so it might be easier for them to grasp. I don't know, it's just something I've thought about.

Also, a minor factor. My Dad is terminally ill and while I've wrapped my head around that, I do want him to know before he dies. Not that he's going to die tomorrow or next week but it's definitely something that's in the back of my mind, that I can't bear the thought of him dying without knowing this big part of who I now realise I am. So that's something that I want to consider.

Basically, I want to tell them. I don't feel too much like it's this big secret weighing on me but I know that the longer I don't tell them, the more it will start to feel like that. So how do I find the right words to say? How do I find the right time, and the courage?

Thanks again. :slight_smile: