1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today more than ever I feel...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by superin, Oct 27, 2015.

1. superin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not sure why but I came out to some friends this last couple of days and everything was going great but for some reason this morning I feel lonely, sad, depressed! Its supposed to be a good thing. I haven't came out to my parents yet and hopefully thats the reason why but right now this feeling isn't so good. Is that normal?

2. superin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh but don't worry about me, I'm pretty strong so nothing bad will happen! I just felt like expressing my feelings right now since I really can't tell anyone else. I have a reputation of being one a strong individual and really thats just me hiding behind a mask! Its sad actually but hey life goes on right? thanks again for taking your time to read this.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay or straight, our sexuality is a very precious thing, but when we are gay we get used to keeping it precious by concealing it from other people. So once "the cat is out of the bag" there is no turning back, no more hiding place for it and that precious feeling disappears. What we have grown quite used to is no more.

Although it's less common, some people do feel deflated after coming out. It's maybe because we build it up into such a big thing that some people end up feeling disappointed by the apparent lack of change. We go through hours of worry and make ourselves vulnerable by coming out and probably expect more in return for that worry and vulnerability. Why shouldn't we?

Give yourself time. It's only a couple of days since you came out and you are still adjusting to the change in your circumstances and processing what it means. I'm sure you will come to see that it's better to be out than in the closet.

4. superin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Patrick....hopefully youre right!!

5. 50ishandout

Everyone has good and bad days. As Patrick said there is such anxiety and worry leading up to Coming Out. Once you've Come Out I know in my case at the beginning I was more confused about what was next.

Give yourself some time. You'll adjust to the new normal.

Congratulations and welcome to the Outside.