1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out after 17 years of "secret"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by faceup, Oct 27, 2015.

1. faceup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just a background I am 32 years old and I just accept myself a few months ago, since I was a teen I pretty much knew I was gay but I kept as secret from "me" and from others.

In my life there is just one person that I would like to come out and is my BEST FRIEND, we know each other for 17 years, so is a pretty long friendship he is not HOMOFOBIC I think so.

A long time ago he, his girlfriend and I went to a LGBT nightclub and he was ok with everything was happening there guys kissing guys girls with girls, Drag etc. So this is why I think he is not homofobic.

As we are too close I think I was and I am being a kind of jerk, because I never told him that I was Gay, I had and I have affraid of losing his friendship. But at the same time I just accept myself this few months ago so I am not such a jerk.... oh gosh too much confusion.

Now this is why I am soooooo worried about to come out to him.

He put my name on his son. I told he and his wife to not do that, but they said they like the name and more than anything they like me :tears::tears:

So here I am a 32 years old who finally accept himselft who does not want to disappoint his best friend.

I don't know what kind of reaction he will have when I say I am Gay, he might mook me because this is what he does all time all he can be quiet. And I don't know how things will be after,things could be good or bad

Today he asked me if I want to go with him to the beach, just me and he so I thought will be a good moment to come out, because it will be just us two !

As he son has my name I think he desearve to know that I am Gay, right ?
    I can say this year my life turned upside down.

Sorry my bad grammar

:help::help:

#1 faceup, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. Distant Echo

Go for it. Serious,y. He took you to a LGBT nightclub and wasn't bothered? He is not homophobic. At most he will be surprised.

Good luck

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If he has known you for so many years, it is very unlikely you will lose the friendship. It may take him some time to understand, but he may already have known.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not be concerned. As you said, you only recently came out to yourself, so it's hard to come out to others before you do that first.

Sounds like you have a great friend!

5. Xanesa21

Wow really long friendship!
    Well i can’t be sure about his reaction but i think you won’t lose him :slight_smile:
    He may be surprised but that’s all :slight_smile:

6. faceup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guys thanks for all advice you gave me.

If we really travel I will try to come out to him, I just don't want he thinks I should have told him before he puts my name on his son.
    I don't know if he will get surprise, I hope not.
    The day we went to LGBT club it was my idea

Again thanks so much for all advice, I will keep you inform

7. aussielefty

hope it works out for you , let us know how it goes...

8. Aviator182

Good luck! I know that with that long of a friendship it is hard to tell someone. It sounds like he is a true friend and will accept you.

9. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm sure your name is lovely lol! As all the posters above me said your friendship most likely will not be terminated after all this time. He doesn't seem homophobic so what's the worst that can happen. What I say to a lot of people is as follows. If your friend doesn't accept you for who you are chances are they are not your proper friend and their is better people out there. Well my advice would be to talk to him about that event when ye went to the lgbt nightclub. Then maybe ask him about what he thought about it and maybe ask him did he find it ok. From what he says should give you a strong ground to decide to come out to him or not. If you feel that you do want to come out to him after this maybe talk about a gay person you/he knows and if he is alright with this person he knows or you know just say that you are gay also.

I feel that things will go alright with your coming out.
    Good Luck to you,
    TheBiBoy