1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Secrets5, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

[I tried the links but they didn't work]

How do I come out to my parents about my gender?

Reason being is I'm pretty sure [although not certain] that my Mum dislikes people who are homosexual and trans. She laughs any time it's brought up and my brother once said ''I bet I get a boyfriend before you'' [though he say's he's not gay] and she looked at him in a really shocked face. Also I was watching FRIENDS and my Mum asked ''why do they make jokes about Chandler being gay'' and I replied ''In the early writing of FRIENDS Chandler was going to be gay'' and she said ''Cool, or rather not cool''. Now that could either be ''cool for being gay, not cool for them taking it out'' or ''cool, but now thinking about it, it's not''. We were in the car yesterday and didn't know whether a bad driver was male or female so my Nan suggested that they were ''cross dresser or trans'' and my Mum just laughed. Didn't see what was funny or even why it matters.

Now my Dad, I don't know anything, but that might be worse, considering I don't know anything about his position.

My biggest worry is them saying I'm not their child just because I'm not their son or daughter.
    I don't mind if they say they ''don't understand it'' as I can tell them that ''I don't expect you to understand it as you'll never go through it so never experience it, just like I don't understand how people feel gender. But I can and do accept people who feel gender and that's why you can accept me.''

Also, if my parents refuse to accept me as agender (monosexual-panplatonic), then they'll be accepting me as (female) homosexual so either way there is going to be something they don't like if they're transphobic and/or homophobic.

Thank-you.

#1 Secrets5, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015