1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being forced back into the closet.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nick1020, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Nick1020

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a Christian and I feel called to be a youth group leader. I go in for my placement interview on Monday. One of the contracts I will have to sign contains a clause that reads, "leaders will not engage in the homosexual lifestyle." I can easily sign the contract and move on. If I do this I would have to keep my boss and the other leaders from finding out about my dating life. Since coming out I have made it a personal goal to love as genuinely as possible. If I sign the contract I would feel like I was being disingenuous. If I don't I feel like I would be doing the youth of my area a disservice. I feel that I have a lot to offer as a youth group leader. Please let me know your thoughts.

2. 50ishandout

I have been associated with the Boy Scouts of America since I was a kid. At the beginning of this year I had made the decision to ask my local Post to not re register me with the BSA because of their prohibition on Gay adult leaders.

Since my decision the Boy Scouts have changed the policy and allowed the local sponsors to make the decision. In my situation there is no issue.

I think you have to weigh the good you can do verses being true to yourself.

3. Biker boy

I was a member of the scouts moved from chairman to commissioner. I was scoutmaster as well as looked over several other troops I left due to my sexuality as well as being a catholic were the church frowns on sexuality tho say you can be gay as long as you don't act on it. You have to be true to yourself think of how you live your life will it be all a lie the homosexual life style is dating and sex with the same gender can you live without doing this... People have..some people could do one thing and by night do another can you live that way if so how can you council someone honestly ultimately you need to be able to work things out for yourself I just through out random things for you to help you look deep but I'm sure what ever you decide will be right for you and them that are around you and wish you great success.

4. Distant Echo

Tbh I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't consider. You haven't said which church you are with, but the agreement is implying that the homosexual lifestyle is wrong.
    How can you help others in a similar situation if you have to hide yourself?
    Look for another way to help the youth.

5. mangotree

If I was as brave as you sound like you are, I'd go for it.

Take note of your signature if you haven't already - "Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love."

Be on guard - only open up to people you trust whole heartedly.
    Stay firm in the faith - If/when you encounter adversity, stand firm because you know what's right in yourself and by god. The written contract is a human invention.
    Be courageous - be yourself, fully and completely.
    Be strong - be a new voice that the youth need and deserve.
    Do everything with love - I bet you already do that.

6. Kaboom

Well the clause doesn't say you can't be a leader and be gay; it basically says don't act on it. So say you do this, what happens when they find out that you are living your life? Will they say you can no longer be a leader? Maybe they will look the other way? Granted, no one is forcing you to be a leader. You're putting yourself in a position where you're having to choose between your calling and who you are. You don't want to choose (I'm assuming so based on your post). You want both and intend to have both. What happens when you can't?

I think it's unfortunate that you want to give so much of yourself to such a cause that only wants part of you.

If it were me, I would find another way to help the youth. I would find a way to have both. You deserve to have both.