1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i just....ddon't know

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itsbrooklyn, Oct 30, 2015.

1. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know how to word this properley so...
    I've been trying to work up the courage to tell my mum that I'm lesbian and it seems that every time I decide that I'm going to tell her she'll say something about gay people's relationships not being normal and that it's gross etc.
    I've never really noticed that she is uncomfortable with gay people because she has said a couple good things about people who are gay, so it just puts me back to square one not knowing what to do.

To add extra pressure/anxiety thing (can't explain it) I decided that I would tell a close friend because I know she won't say anything bad and she won't care or not want to talk to me, and the day I decided to tell her we were sitting in class and she showed me a screenshot that asked "how to tell and friend you're bisexual".... Which was her way of telling me that she is bisexual and I was happy for her and I didn't care or act stupid about it, but now I feel like I shouldn't/can't come out because I don't want her to think that I'm trying to copy her or get attention (again I can't explain it)

I just want to know what I should do because I have no idea and I'm tired of feeling like crap because I can't tell anyone who I am
    Any help will be appreciated, Thankyouu. :icon_bigg

2. Really

You shouldn't worry that your friend will think you're copying her. You could give her a bit of time to have her "moment" and when things have settled back to normal, you could tell her. You could even phrase it as a question like, "I'm so glad you told me. Did you know you could tell me because you knew I was gay?"

Do you think your mom is actually homophobic or just doesn't have enough experience with LGBT stuff in her life directly? You could try standing up for gay people when she says these things. It might be hard but try to imagine you're standing up for your friend and other LGBT people, separate from yourself. It might be easier to do. Also, you could correct her when she says that gay relationships aren't normal. Tell her they are normal, they're just not as common.

I'm sorry you're frustrated. Try to support your friend for a few days and when the opportunity arises, talk to her about yourself. Hopefully, this will make you feel better and able to gain strength for telling your mom.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#2 Really, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015