1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out by letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tinkergeek, Jun 18, 2005.

1. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

So far, most of my friends have been told and my mother. I attend a gay youth group and just became one of the offical leaders of the group. I'm fairly comfortable being out and am enjoying just being myself. The only thing that brings me to a standstill is my dad. He has always been a big, strong, bull-headed type of guy. He played sports in high school and won multiple awards (even to this day, thirty years later, he is remembered at my school). He also sees homosexuality as being a weakness and such..

I love my dad, but because I'm so afraid of coming out to him, I have spent a large part of the past few months spending my time away from him. I've thought about ways to tell him, times that would be good, etc.. But, I just can't get it all to "fit". So, I'm thinking about coming out in a letter..

To me, a letter seems impersonal and not very respectful, but I just can't get the words out.. Does anyone have any suggestions on coming out by letter?

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... don't do it. *grin*

Seriously, text is passive-aggressive (especially if it's email). People don't treat text-based correspondence and interaction in a very "normal" way a lot of the time and so things can go south quite quickly. People tend to assume the worst (when they should be assuming the best--quite a good strategy, actually, for dealing with emails that initially piss you off).

If you really feel you have to do it by letter, though, I would suggest the following:

- Use "I" statements. "I feel that..." "I've wanted to tell you that..." "I want us to..."

- Don't try to predict his every possible response and out-argue him on these hypotheticals--you'll go crazy and you'll end up sounding defensive.

- The longer the letter, the more likely you'll sound defensive, so make sure it is only as long as it needs to be to cover the bases.

- Don't mix issues: if you hate him for calling you a sissy when you were 8, your coming out letter is NOT the forum for airing those feelings.

- Don't apologise for your sexual orientation. Do apologise for not being able to find the words to tell him personally.

- Explain why you've chosen to write him rather than tell him in person.

- Explain why you're telling him (hopefully this is because you want to share something important about yourself with him).

- Be honest, be kind, but don't sugarcoat things.

- Use "I" statements.

- Remember to breathe.

- Let him know you love him.

- Let him know that it doesn't have anything to do with him, or your mum, or how you were raised, or your gay uncle/lesbian aunt, etc. (Parents' instinctive reactions are to seek to blame someone or something.)

- Have your letter reviewed by someone supportive whose opinion you trust and be willing to listen to their feedback, both positive and negative.

Best of luck!

3. Quasar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out by letter - mainly because at 19 I was living away from home and only had a weekend with my parents every other month and - mainly because it was ALWAYS difficult to find the 'right time'.

The only thing I would add to the excellent advice that joey has given is to bear in mind the following.

We have had several years of sometimes really hard emotional turmoil in coming to terms with our sexuality, and a big mistake that many young people make is to insist or expect parents/family/friends to accept it overnight once they have been told.

In my letter I told them 'I'm not asking for your approval, nor do I expect you to understand it or to accept it overnight, but I would like you to be happy for me, because I'm happy with the way I am.'

The only thing that strikes me is that it was the first time I'd really stood up to my father and taken a decision away from him....he didn't have the option to disapprove, because I'd not given him the option.

You say your mum already knows. Are your parents still together? Can she help in telling your father - she must know how much it is hurting you?

Hope you sort it out. Keep us informed.

4. hawkeye

yea, i thing that having your mother be involved in this could help a lot. I had always thought that my step dad would freak out, and i asked my mom not to tell him. she did anyways, i guess she knew him well enough to know exactly what he'd say ("I dont want him to ever believe that i wouldn't accept him!"). So i was wrong, but if he didnt accept, i think that a wife could easily help make a dad give in and accept it. She even told him without me around, heck, i didnt even know untill a few days later. at least i didnt have to get worked up about telling him. It could be very helpful to have your mom explain to him that you are distressed and you dont believe he will accept you if you tell him your are gay.

5. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. My parents are still together, and my mom has been very supportive so far. My dad has never directly put me down. He just makes remarks against gay people in general.

I'll take to my mom and see what we can work out.. When we've talked together about telling my dad, she has no idea about how he'll react. I'm taking a trip in the near future, and plan on coming out after I get back (in some fashion).

6. Corny

Corny Guest

from my experience: letters aren't that much of a good thing, they do the job, but it feels better to do it in person. but it can be a good prepartion to first write a "coming out letter" where you collect your thought and what you want to tell this person, afterwards you have a good collection of things to say during your talk ..

7. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

Going off Corny... why can't you do a combination of both and write the letter, just as you would send it to them, but instead of just letting them read it, you read it to them?

8. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

The whole idea behind avoiding his initial reaction is because I think he will react in three ways: acceptance, forever denial, or complete outrage. These are the only reactions I've ever seen him give. I can deal with the first two. If he becomes upset from the news, it will last for quite some time and then slip into "forever denial". Now, I know he loves me and always will, and that my mom will eventually be able to calm him down to the point that we could be around eachother, but before that, I doubt we'd be able to even be in the same house. (We have a second house about 45 minutes away, so I wouldn't be without a place to stay...)

Yeah, I think I've seen that coming out just by letter might not be the best way, but I'm still unsure. :slight_smile:

9. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

Tinker-

Is there any reason that you have to come out to your dad right now, or is something you just feel like you have to do?

I mean, I couldn't even imagine coming out at 16... it took a year of college to come out to myself (years of thinking guys were hot didn't mean I was gay... hahaha :lol: yeah, I was mildly self-delusional) and I've just come out to other people this past year. I know everybody's different but I think, at almost 17, you're already very well aware of who you are, which is great and that you're well ahead of the rest of the gay pack at your age. I just think that all the extra anxiety revolving around coming out to your dad just isn't worth it. But if you do decide to come out to your dad, I think everybody's right; in person is the best way to do it.

And you've already said it, but I just want to repeat it: Parents love their children no matter who they are, what they are, where they are, or who they're with. None of that matters when it comes to the love for ones children. And really, I don't think your dad has any right to be "angry" nor do I think he actually would be... possibly just shocked and perhaps upset, but I don't think he'd get "angry." Angry happens when you crash the car pulling into the garage... :lol:, not when you let your dad know who you are. Anyway, good luck and all the best, always.

-CK

10. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

The only reason I want to come out to him at this point in my life is because I don't want him to find out from someone else. I'm not a very vocal person and don't tell just anyone, but for about the past year I've been just being me (going to the local glbt youth group on outings, hanging out with all the great people I've met, I even dated a guy for a while, all this he doesn't know about). However, my dad knows a lot of people in my home town and it's bound to make it's way back.. That's why I wish to tell him.

So.. Yeah, that's why I'm worried about it all. I've been busy doing things and haven't seen my parents for several days (since I'm driving, we're barely together), but I'll talk to my mom and see what she thinks. Thanks for all the advice.

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's probably one of the best reasons to come out to a parent, so at least you're starting from a good place.

What did your mum say?

12. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Ok, so an update on my coming out.. I still haven't told him. But, my mom and I have talked more about it. She went and talked with a member of PFLAG and it seems she is still working through some issues.. So, when she's done with those, we'll go about telling my dad. Overall, I'm happy with the way things are going. I would like to thank everyone who offered advice!

13. It sounds like you're on top of it, tinker. Good for you! :slight_smile: