1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like him, but i dont even talk to him....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Evanfan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Evanfan

There's this guy in school... i'm really not sure how old he is but he's got to be at most a year older then me so maybe around 15?... the first day he was coming to school everyone was saying "we're having a new kid.. and this other person told me he was gay" i was like.. WOw... i mean... i could have someone to at least talk to... but i think they were wrong.... once me and my friend saw him we looked at eachother and said "he's not gay..." heh i guess it was pretty funny.. but then I had to help him at lunch time... but i couldnt because my lunch times are really my 'everythign else' time.. i barely have about 10 minutes to eat before either chorus, band, newspaper, mock trials, piano practice, or any other sort of thing.... he is (at least to me) EXTREMELY hot.. or cute... well.. both.... i kept kind of studying him the first day.. and everything was fine until i saw him talking to Cory.. one of the biggest trouble makers in my school and also a 'Gangster-wannabe'.. i thought it was all like just ruined.. even my chances of talking to him since i dont even talk to those kids... but he's proven that i was wrong... he's REALLY smart.. which is a good thing... i mean yeah he plays around every once in a while.. but he knows all the answers in math, science, and english class.... he has a GREAT smile.. and he sits close to me in almost every class.. but the thing is.. we never talk... we've never engaged in a real conversation... all we do is that when he doesn't hear the answer that our teacher gives i tell him what it was.. and thats it...

Yesterday however, i was in math class.. doing some other teacher's work (i'm allowed to do that since i take an honors class for math @ another school and a different time) and i noticed that.. he was looking at me a lot... he sat one seat in fromt of me in the next row to my right, and as i did my work i could see him turning around and looking at what i was doing.. he even tried to seem like he wasnt, but when i looked up i noticed he was looking at me.. maybe he was interested in the work i was doing?... i dont know.. but i've come to really REALLY like him.. maybe nothing will happen.. since he acts all straigh... so i assume he is... but i mean he's in the basketball team.. and he's always making jokes, and being goofy and stuff... and i always laugh cuz i can't help it... its funny.. and he kind of looks at me when i laugh and i think i even saw him smiling once when i laughed.... but again this all kind of ends when u think about the fact that we don't even talk.... i mean even if nothing does happen... at least i'd like to be his friend.... what can i do? and again sorry for writing such looong posts.. i get carried away :rolleyes:

#1 Evanfan, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Helen

Helen Guest

First off, there IS such thing as a gay basketball player :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Now, the only way you are going to find out if he's gay, bi, straight, or anything else, is if you talk to him yourself. Every school in the world seems to do this, but finding out through a string of other people by way of gossip is NOT the way to go about these things >.<

If you want to be his friend, maybe eventually pursue something a bit more with him, you're going to have to approach him at some point :slight_smile: The trick is to do it gradually; laugh at the jokes he makes, maybe catch his eye and say hello next time he turns around in your maths class, and if you guys are talking in a group, try and say something directly to him. But the important thing is not to rush it, and keep your feelings for him to yourself until you're good friends.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Alexander

As a rule of thumb, if you have to ask "Is he gay?" he usually isn't. However this isn't a definite thing.

At 14 or 15, I wouldn't expect many kids to be out yet. The best thing to do is try to become his friend with no expectations. Then if you get a lucky surprise, you have a boyfriend, and if you don't, then you have another friend! :]

4. Evanfan

the thing is... i didnt ask anyone if he was gay... or bi or anything... everyone was talking about him and then some girl said he was gay.. thats all... and its kind of hard to talk to him at all... i mean just now.. on the bus.. my friend was in front of me and he was in the seat behind me.. and i tried to talk to my friend about something that the guy i like would be interested in to c if he'd say anything.. but he didnt.. and today i actually kinda talked to him.. just cuz we were all laughing and he didnt know what happened and i told him that some girl told the teacher something about the test and the teacher said she had a hair in her throat that was bothering her.. so all i sdid was turn around and tell him.. then thats it.. we didnt talk at all for the rest of the day... but sometimes like.. in different places i dont look directly at him but from what i can see it looks as if he was looking at me.. and it happens quite often...

5. riddlerno1

Talk to the guy thats the only way you will get to know him. Plus that will at least pave the way for you to be friends if nothing else.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to start a casual conversation, maybe when you're leaving class. Maybe mention something about the homework, and that you don't know if you'll have tme to get it done because you're so busy with _____ activity, then maybe ask what he does with his free time. Or something like that. Get chatting with him, but keep it casual.

7. pookie

pookie Guest

Just try and become friends. If worst comes to worst you'll have a cool new friend.

8. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok well, like other people have said, romours are not a good thing to go by, especially if it's only one person saying it. I don't really blame you for getting your hopes up though, it's something you can't help. This however does NOT mean i'm saying "he's straight, don't try." But it's good that you're fine with just friendship.

So work on becoming friends first. I don't know about you but i'm not comfortable with going straight into a relationship (straight into a gay relationship :lol: sorry i thought it was funny...nevermind). With friends atleast you know they like you (to a point) and you're not working off of nothing. This would apply to those "signs" of him liking you (looking at you, smiling at you, etc). Become friends first, don't assume anything yet. After you've become friends, if you start to notice he's taken a great interest in you, then you can start to wonder.

How do you talk to him? Start before or after classes, especially if you're not comfortable around the people he hangs out with. Talking while you're in the hallway can be awkward if you're both going in opposite directions and you end up cutting it short because you have to go, or if his friends come to talk to him and all of a sudden you're awkward and out of place in the group.

Work things in gradually, talk a bit at first and let him warm up to you. Talk about things that you can relate to him. I'm guessing you're not much into basketball so no, don't try to talk to him about it for the sake of talking. Talk about things like the classes you have together, the teachers you have together, your class work, things like that (complaining about such things is usually a good conversation starter/filler, assuming he feels the same and of course not infront of the teacher you'd talk about :confused:). Get to know eachother on a classroom level first. You can talk about eachothers' personal lives once you've become better aquainted.

A reminder on something i don't think i have to remind you about. Since i'm guessing you know eachothers' names, or rather you know eachother on some level, you don't have to go into formalities. "Hi, i'm Soandso, will you be my freind?" No, unless you want to wierd him out, don't do that. Formalities like that in this generation have become rediculous. If he doesn't know you're name, he'll either find out on his own (if he's smart) or he can be awkward and ask you (still ok but awkward). If he doesn't know why the heck you're talking to him, and worse yet has to ask...well, you might want to rethink this through :confused:

Ok sorry this was so long but i hope it helps somehow. Good luck :thumbsup: