1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Coming Out To Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TaffySnowlepord, Nov 1, 2015.

1. TaffySnowlepord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have known I was gay for a long time I have told all my friends but for some reason i cant muster up enough courage to come out to my parents i need some help on how i should come out to them and when and where i should do it.

#1 TaffySnowlepord, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Do you think you're parents will be accepting? I know this may not be a problem for you but I thought it's important to say it since you didn't put much detail: If you still live with your parents and you think telling them could be dangerous for you, you should wait because your safety is important.

Okay so if that's not an issue for you, there are lots of ways to come out depending on what works for you. It can be scary (especially with family) and you may find that you'll get really nervous right when you're trying to do it and it may take several tries.
    But like I said, there are lots of different ways you could come out:

-You may want to consider if you want to tell both parents at once or one at a time and what will be easier for you.
    -You could plan when you'll do it or do it spontaneously
    -You could ask them (even through text) if you can talk to them at a certain time so they can give you their full attention.
    -You could write a letter (or one to each parent) so you can explain anything you want to
    -You could even say it over text and talk about it after if you want to. I mean, they may prefer if you tell them in person but if that's what works for you then go for it, I'm sure they'd understand.

There's really no right or wrong way to do it, just whatever is best for you. Think about what kind of setting you would prefer. For most people, I think they prefer to do it alone in their house when other family members aren't around, but it's whatever works for you. If you want to get out of the house to do it, that's fine too. Just make sure it's at a time when they can give you their attention and have time to talk about it.

You will probably also want to look at this recent thread.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine:wink:

3. TaffySnowlepord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you I know i didn't go in to specifics but i am 13 i live with my parents but they are broken up so i would have to tell both of them at separate times and i think i might write a note or something like that. Any way thank you for the advice i will take it into consideration