1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I doing to myself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by InsertWittyName, Nov 2, 2015.

1. InsertWittyName

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, I am out when it comes to my friends who are a lot more accepting than my parents. I want to come out, but every time I try to take a bigger step then dropping hints, I end up retreating back into my little closet and won't bring it up for a month because my mom said something like "No, you are a little girl" or "You'll like boys in a few years." (I'm 14) I want to tell my family so badly, because it's bad enough that I get called she/her pronouns (I prefer they/their) by not as close friends and others, but the fact that my family does it bothers me. I know I'm young, but it feels right when I'm called they/their by friends. Should I try to correct my family? I have no idea what to do because I want to keep our family bond strong, it's just so confusing! :tears:

2. Ally Girl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you feel you want to tell them, tell them. Tell them how important it is to you, but be warned this could be a bumpy road they might not be completely accepting, tell them and keep your head down for a while, dont be too expectant on them using the right pronouns straight away, they're used to 14 years of calling you she

3. Milkyway13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would sit down with you mum, and just quietly tell her how you feel. Start with that and then wait a bit and then talk about them calling you they/their. As the other user said, it might be tough to start with, but your mum should accept it regardless