1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ralphtruco, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    so something has been bothering for a looong time...
    so i have this friend (hes a guy) that has been my best friend since the day i told him , he has been so suportive about everthing: heard my problems an all that.
    and always a bunch of friends tell me i care too much about him... that i was in love with him or something INCLUDIN SOMEONE FROM HERE (XD), anyway lately i been wondering if it is true because hes always talkin about my other best friend (who is also his best friend, a girl) and saying thing like "she special" and in his actions always demostrating that she mean waaay much that i ever will mean to him, so i get kinda jealous...
    but it can be because i want to have the friendship they have ... right xD?!

2. Peter

Interesting question. No, you do not have to be in love in order to want to have that "special relationship": you just need to be reasonably possessive. I find that I have had few friends in my life, but have always been rather jealous of their friends and the time they spend away from me, that just a question of character. Try to avoid being too possessive, you can scare people away by being very demanding. But it is difficult to maintain the balance.
    Being in love is something more than that. Yes, it does ache when you are separated. Being in love means that this is not someone whom you would like to see every day, but someone from whom you cannot be separated for a single day without pain (and yes, it can be physical pain).
    (Being in lust is again something completely different, usually short-term physical attraction. Unfortunately Hollywood and Hugh Grant have portrayed lust as love so often that many tend to confuse them.)