1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on coming out as Trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xx Kellin xx, Nov 11, 2015.

1. xx Kellin xx

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! So, I have been questioning my gender for a little while now ( since possibly November of last year ), and after doing a lot of research and recieving some help with figuring out who I am, I have come to the conclusion that I am FtM Transgender. Of course the questioning has been in the back of my mind for a longer time than stated, but it was only recently that I began to question things seriously.

Now, my parents are religious ( my mom is Christian and my dad is Catholic ), and the only one who is a lot more accepting towards the LGBT+ community is my mom. So, I really want to tell her first and possibly just leave it for my dad to figure out over time because I am genuinely scared to just straight up tell him. I do have a few FtM friends and others who are LGB, and my mom is accepting of them, however she does see them as people who are going against the Bible's word deep in her heart.

Another thing, is that my closest friend is FtM and him and I go to church together and hang out and stuff like that, and I can't help but see my mom believing that he is "influencing" me to be Trans no matter how I word my coming out to her. And that isn't the case. I met him long after I began to question my gender identity, so I know in my mind that he isn't; but, I am not sure she will see it that way. However, yes he was someone who helped me figure everything out.

I am also afraid she will tell me I am too young to be knowing what I am and what I am not when it comes to my gender and my sexuality. Because she does think that my LGBT+ friends are "too young" to know who they are.

Lastly, I cannot just sit her down and tell her straight out of the gates that I am Trans. I am very bad at things like that because my anxiety gets the best of me, but I am very good at writing my feelings and things down. Should I come out to her through a letter or an e-mail? Or should I try and gather the courage to tell her vocally? Also, does anyone have any tips on this sort of thing? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. YinYang

You can tell your mother in whatever way makes you the most comfortable. If you are more comfortable emailing her, do it. If you are more comfortable telling her vocally, do it. As for you being 'too young', a lot of kids realize they are trans* at a very young age; I'm talking around 8 years old. So 14 is not too young to know AT ALL.

The thing I want you to remember is: if you feel afraid your mom will kick you out of the house or cut you off or physically hurt you, don't tell her. If this is the case, wait until you are financially independent and have a backup plan in case she does any of these things. If you are not afraid of her doing any of this, then tell her.