1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lgbtqenjolras, Nov 12, 2015.

1. lgbtqenjolras

I know they're liberal and supportive of LGBTQ+ people, but I don't know how to tell them. Every time I go to say something I feel like I'm going to throw up and change the subject really fast. I don't know why I'm so nervous!

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's normal to feel scared sh1tless!
    But in the end it's all about you being true to yourself.
    Take a deep breath and do it when you feel comfortable with it, and only when you feel it's right.
    Lots of love!!!
    (*hug*)

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

If saying it out loud is too hard, you could try writing a letter or even through text if that's what you need to do. If you feel they may be worried you had to do it through text, you can even say you want to talk about it more later and explain to them then that you just couldn't get the words out even though you knew they'd be accepting.
    Just think of it as telling your parents something new they didn't know about you before. Once it's out, it's out of the way and it's just one more thing they know about you.

This may also be hard, but if you want to say it face-to-face you could ask one of your parents if you could talk to them at a later time or day. That way they'll be giving you their attention so you don't have to find a time to bring it up yourself, and it kind of forces you to do it then.

It's okay that you're having a hard time doing it. It's a really nerve-racking thing! And sometimes it can take a lot of tries. Just remember this when you want to tell them:
    -them knowing is important to you. If you feel you're ready, which it seems you are, then it will be worth it to tell them. You just have to get over that hurdle and then it'll seem so easy once it's out.
    -When you plan on telling them, it's never going to seem like "the right moment" to bring it up when you're nervous. There will always be reasons the moment may not be perfect and you can always find reasons, like so-and-so's busy or we were talking about something completely different or it's dinner time or they're trying to watch tv. So really, just forget about trying to find the perfect moment and just do it (if you're ready).
    -You could tell one parent at a time if that's easier.

Best of luck!!

4. littleraven

It may help to write it. Even if you have trouble saying it, you can give the letter to them.

I agree with bubbles123.

Take care. I wish you well. (*hug*)