1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the right time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheRoof, Jan 17, 2009.

1. TheRoof

Two things:
    First...how do you know when is the right time to come out?
    I mean i really wanna come out to my close friends, but i just cant
    seem to find the right time...
    like...wouldn't it be really wierd if i randomly said "hey btw, im gay hahaha" :dry:
    or should i act more gay and provoke them to ask me if im gay?
    Two, I want to come out...BUT:
    1) im afraid that its gonna be really awkward...and that my friends wont treat me the same way or look at me the same way
    2) my school is really small (cuz its private). and i dont want whole people in the school to know im gay....-_-

any advice? thnx.

#1 TheRoof, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I think its different for every person. I personally didn't feel I would ever be ready to come out, but when I did it turned out to be the best thing i'd done!

with one of my friends i did actually write it on the end of a text about college work. "P.S I just thought i'd tell you I'm gay!" And she was cool with it.

As for your concerns...

My friends didn't treat me differently at all. If anything i treated them differently because I realised I could tell them much more about myself!

And if you tell your close friends to keep it a secret I can't see why they won't (as long as they are really your close friends that is!). My friends do :slight_smile:

Good Luck

I hope this helps!

3. TheRoof

maybe i should write a note like u did...
    thanks for the advice cjtom

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no "right time". If you believe that, you'll be able to convince yourself that you're not at that "right time" just yet, and keep putting it off.

It's the right time when you want to do it. :slight_smile:

How do you do it? Get them alone, one by one, and tell them. Say "I'm telling you this because I think the important people in my life know, and you're one of them."

Lex

5. TheRoof

thanks for the good advice lex! that was very helpful :slight_smile:

6. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    well i dont think theres EXACTLY a definition of a right time for this... but at least i think that a right time would be when you are completely alone with him (her? sorry dint read much the first post xD) and that you have maked sure you guys wont be disturbed by ANYONE, and if you are planing on telling a bunch of people do it one at a time... and dont memorize just, like o_o tell it in some way that is not like "HEY IM GAY =D" maybe giving them some kind of prologe or something xD
    and i emphatize on the "that you have maked sure you guys wont be disturbed by ANYONE" becus, believe me if some hipocrit stupid person you hate walts in the conversation your gonna be sorry for a looong time (like me =D stupid >> ***hole >>)
    so anyway good luck xD

7. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    o also make sure before that theyr are somewhat aceptant of gay ppl (this can be risky xD by the way you ask it can be like saying it that you are it)
    sorry for double post o.o
    and .. xD also make sure to tell them that you trust them, care for them and that kinds of things ._.

8. Mickey

Lex always has great advice. He's right,there is no right time.
    And letting them know that you care about them enough to share your personal life
    with them should make it that much easier. They may even be flattered that you chose
    them to confide in. Good luck!

9. TheRoof

thanks guys for the advice.
    im gonna try to come out this week so...im so nervous!!! wish me luck!!

10. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    good luuuck xD!

11. TheRoof

thanks ralphtruco :slight_smile:

12. paddyken1

I thought it would be awkward between me and my friends when i came out but it hasnt been at all and I have become better friends with them because of it (all my friends are guys and none are gay). Id say youl be pleasantly surprised by their reactions.
    good luck

13. TheRoof

thanks paddyken1!! i hate awkward situations so im hoping that it wont be like that

14. quickymart

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, that's how i came out to my friends. lol I pretty much just said, 'Guess what, I'm gay!" I''m pretty blunt. lol

if they are really good friends, then you have nothing to worry about. they won't treat you any differently. the only thing that changes is conversations, cuz you can talk about the guys you like! but seriously, none of my friends freaked out on me, and they all understood not to tell anyone until i felt comfortable letting others know. some of your friends might already know you're gay. A lot of my friends already knew actually, they were just good enough friends not to confront me about it until i was ready.

Also,it should be noted, (this is only from my own experience) the way you come out dictates how they generally respond to you. If you tell them in a a confident/happy sort of way, they will be quick to support and be smiley, if not curious, if you say it really serious/ depressed/ there responce would most likely be in a concerned expression.

i wish you the best of luck!

15. starfish

Everyone else is right, there is no right time. I decided to come out because I am tired of being gay, being a big deal. I just wanted to get it out in the open and move on with my life.

As for how to say it. I usually just go with a brief preamble explaining why I am telling them, then I just bluntly say "I am gay". Then I just let the conversation go from there.

16. TheRoof

thnx quickysmart and starfish.
    its kinda ironical b/c even before i come out to my friends,
    i was outed by my family tonight -_-

17. starfish

Well that sucks. At least it is out of the way.