1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for coming out to friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JackIsANerd, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JackIsANerd

So I want to come out to my friends so don't have to hide who I am to everyone, I know they would be okay with it (I think) but I am not sure how to bring it up? Should I just randomly say it or wait for the right moment?

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My advice would be to not say it randomly out of the blue. Find a time where you can get together with them and have a conversation about it; it doesn't have to be too long or too serious, just sit down and tell them, and if it goes well then just hang out and do something else afterwards. It's better if when you tell them, nobody is in a hurry or too stressed out, and it's in a more relaxing and safe environment. Just my take on it. Good luck!

3. JackIsANerd

Thank you! That is a good idea :grin:

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem, I hope it goes well (*hug*)

5. Redd

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've found that the best way to tell friends (for me at least) is not to make it a huge deal unless you know they're likely to be uncomfortable (which does happen sometimes, unfortunately) and you need to actually take time and preface why you're saying. For example, here's a conversation I had with a friend who I knew was likely to be cool with everything:

Friend: (Talking about Disney crushes) I've always liked Hercules.
    Me: Eh, he's not really my type.
    Friend: Really? But he's so muscular! What is your type?
    Me:... Rapunzel
    Friend: haha, good one! (long pause) WAIT, ACTUALLY?
    Me: Yeah :slight_smile:
    Friend: Oh, ok cool :slight_smile:

It can be a little concerning when people think you're kidding, but it's a lot easier to do something like this than it is to try to sit down and have a long talk, because this way you don't really get as nervous and you aren't putting as much pressure on your friends to respond perfectly. Obviously, you want them to respond well, but you don't necessarily want to put them in a position where you've prepared a speech and they feel like they have to say something profound in response. Also, I think it makes your friends more comfortable talking to you about it if they do have things they want to ask you about, because the conversation isn't as intense.

Hope everything goes well!