1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed Views

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kyrin The Llama, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Kyrin The Llama

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents know that I am gay. They have known for a while, ever since my friend's mom read his texts and contacted my parents.

They have accepted that I am gay. Recently, I went with my school's GSA to a youth summit, and after I returned home, my mom made a comment that still makes me uncomfortable. She said, "I am okay with you being gay, it's okay, but if you start crossdressing or something, I can never get behind or accept that." We had a discussion about transgender people, and my mom called Caitlyn Jenner a guy, and repeatedly expressed the view that it made no sense and that she could not support her choice.

I had just begun questioning my gender at that point, and now that I am settled in my identity as genderfluid, I am not sure how I feel about coming out to them. I currently don't have much of a desire to come out to them, but I have come out to many of my friends. I want to be honest with them, especially with my past, but I'm afraid they won't accept it.

I don't know what to do.

#1 Kyrin The Llama, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First step: Change their view point of transgender people in general. Offer them valid information if questioned. You could tell them that you don't see anything wrong with Caitlyn Jenner being a woman, and that you don't think it's wrong to cross dress. They will probably question, even argue with your view points. Be prepared, and offer them with reasoning. Heck, you could even prepare a whole persuasive speech.

Or, if you want to go for a more subtle approach, apply that reasoning into everyday life. Do you know anyone else who is gender questioning/Gqueer, or trans? Use them as examples. You can tell your parents, "I'm friends with X and they're really nice; I have no problem with their gender."

Orrr... You could ask your parents why it does not make sense to them that people transfer over. (not in an argumentative way, but rather in an "I'm trying to understand you because I love you but I'm confused" way.) This is not a choice on the individual's behalf. they were born this way and cannot change the fact that this is who they are. Emphasize this point. Ask them, do you feel cisgender?<(Like a woman/like a man) Then ask how they would feel if they were born in the body of the opposite gender (Granted, this will better help them understand transgender rather than gender fluidity. One thing at a time.)

Great. That starts the ball rolling.

once and only once they are more open minded and educated, can you think about how to come out.

(Although in all honesty I've tried some of these techniques with my dad, and he still doesn't understand transgender or gender fluidity. You're parents don't necessarily have to understand though. It's the acceptance that counts.)

(Oh, and also, sorry if that sounded bossy up there at all. I was writing it out how I would do it.)
    Good luck! :slight_smile: We're all here for you remember!

#2 Linus, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015