1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who would you first come out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Linus, Nov 14, 2015.

?

Who would you first come out to?

1. Mom

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Dad

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Sister (If you have one)

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Brother (If you have one)

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Best Friend

118 vote(s)
    57.3%
  6. Therapist

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. Relative

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Crush

10 vote(s)
    4.9%
  9. Random person or aquaintence

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. Other

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who would you first come out to and why?

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I first came out to a friend (who was openly gay). So it obviously wasn't a big deal to him.

But if I didn't have him and I had to choose, my best friend would be my #1 choice. She is open about anything, and my sexuality will definitely not change anything.

3. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually came out to a therapist as "I think I might be a gay girl, but I'm not sure" a long time ago, but honestly I was just open to her about my questioning. Not sure what that counts as, and anyways, I stopped seeing her ages ago for counselling. Plus, I've figured a lot more things out about myself in the meantime.

The first person I actually recently came out to, directly and honestly, was a close friend; she's openly into girls so she was of course really accepting and supportive.

If I had to go back to a "clean slate" of sorts in the dark of the closet, I'd say I would first come out to a best friend or a really close friend, someone who I could be quite certain would be accepting. Therapist would be ranked close second, since there's that whole confidentiality thing and I would feel comfortable discussing it in that kind of setting, if nowhere else.

Then again, I was out on EC first before anywhere else, throughout my questioning and onwards. Where's the option for an entire online forum? :lol: (I voted for best friend, by the way. But therapist + other are options I would vote for too.)

EDIT:
    Yeah I agree with this, it's more or less my reasoning too.

#3 Alder, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  4. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Best friend. They are the person who understands you the most, and if they are truly your best friend, they will not care about your sexual orientation or gender identity, because that's not what makes you their friend- being who you are is.

5. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Females. So mom, sister, friend(a female one, duh), any female.

6. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I first came out, I told my best friend. She was very accepting and supportive, just as I thought she would be. I eventually came out to a few other good friends of mine. I figure it is best to come out to a good friend first. It provides a steady support system just in case if your parents have a bad reaction.

7. Plattyrex

My mom. I told some friends first, but I really wish I hadn't. I told 3 people and now 10 people know. I also just recently told a girl who aked me out and I wish I hadn't because apparently she's a terrible person. I still haven't told my mom, but I know she would support me no matter who I am.

8. Lyana

I first came out to my crush, because a) my best friend and I weren't in the same city when I started wanting to come out, b) if anything was going to happen, my crush needed to know I wasn't straight, and c) they asked.

The second person I told was my best friend, because I knew she'd be fine with it and because I tell her everything anyway. My family is/was/will be last to know, because they're the only ones who have a problem with it.

9. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I first came out to an openly pansexual friend of mine, who was super cool and supportive of me. After coming out to three non-LGBT friends (who really didn't care/realise what I had just told them) I came out to some more LGBT friends of mine who, needless to say, were awesome about it. :slight_smile:

#9 Mags the Goron, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  10. hedgehog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't come out to my best friend first, but I did come out to my friend who was openly gay and of course he had no problem with it.

11. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my cousins first x3 They're sort of my best friends but we're also related :grin: I then told my best unrelated friend.

12. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Although I'd prefer to tell my parents first, I have an Aunt I know was okay with a transgender person she used to be friends with so I'm sure that she'll be okay with agender.

13. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I guess technically I came out to some friends who weren't my best friends because that was easier at the time, but I did put "Best friend" because if I hadn't come out to anyone by now, that's who I'd want to know the most. Your best friend is always there to support you and understand you and I'd want them to know the truth more than anyone else so I can be myself around them.
    Parents are harder if you feel like they have different expectations for you.
    A therapist would be good too.
    Honestly, I wouldn't come out to siblings because I'm not all that close to my sister and we never really talk about anything serious.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my best friend first. Who was also my crush. But I just voted best friend. ^^

15. Foz

Foz Guest

I came out to a new-ish friend first, I had known them for about a year so I knew that I could trust them but I didn't want to start with my inner circle cause I just wanted to see what it felt like first.

16. Distant Echo

You missed SO in those options

17. confusedbubble

I put
    My crush first.. Still waiting for a reply haven't spoken or seen each other since February (obviously not worth my time or effort so deleted her number earlier this month)
    Then some of my work friends I've known them for nearly 14 years
    Still trying to come out to my parents its hard even though I had a year long relationship with a woman they didn't ask

Still trying to come out to some friends but don't have the guts even wearing a rainbow bracelet and pin badge they still don't take the hint or even ask me

18. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom. I'm not sure why, but it just happened. At that moment I felt like she should know. None of my friends that I'm relatively close with is lgbt, but otherwise I would probably have come out to them by now.

19. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kind of feel like saying a stranger. Mainly because you get the feeling of like you have nothing to lose by doing so. I sometimes feel like personal matters tend to be easier to discuss with strangers.

20. JoshW2365

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I first came out to my best friend. I sent him a snapchat that literally just said "I'm bi." He was like "Really?? Like 100% honest?" And then I told him I was being honest, and he facetimed me to say "You go gurl!" (He is straight btw)... Then I came out to my parents with the help of another friend. I came out to them as gay, not bi. This meant that I would have to come out to my best friend again lol. He was still very supportive.