1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College and Roommates

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by almostoutofhere, Nov 15, 2015.

1. almostoutofhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I'm a high school senior, and I'm currently closeted. I haven't come out to anyone (though they all will most likely be fine with it) because I feel guilty about having lied, and I'm afraid to admit to them that I've lied. BUT I've completely accepted that I "dig dudes". Anyway, I've decided that I am just going to come out when I get to college.

My question is: How do I approach that, how do I come out to people who don't know me, how do I come out to my roommate?

Being a senior, I've never been in the college atmosphere, and though all of the schools I'm applying to are "LGBTQ Friendly", I'm not sure how to best approach this situation, because no one will know me. When I meet my roommate do I just say "I'm gay" or something similar? OR do I just go on with my life and when the topic comes up or I'm found with a guy, I just say "Yeah, I'm gay". OR do I just wait until we've become friends and then come up with a speech telling him that I'm gay.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. PokeGleek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey. I'm in the same shoes as you are and I'm graduating in 2016 too. Back in the summer of this year, I was constantly thinking how I should tell my roommate when Its time for move-in-day, and this is what I decided I'm going to do.

First of all, them knowing what your sexuality is isn't any of their concern. So, what I decided was to just go on with my everyday life and if the topic every comes up, I'll just respond honestly and just casually respond since its no big deal.

As for telling other people, If they ask or the topic come up, just casually slip it in and don't make it awkward. Just remember, you are more then your sexuality and that there's more to you as a person.

#2 PokeGleek, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Still in high school myself, but I think what the above poster said is pretty good. If you wanted to join an LGBT+ club or something too that could be a good way to tell people without having to individually tell everyone. But only if you want to, don't join a club just for that of course.

As for feeling guilty about lying, you shouldn't see it that way because it's not lying. If you weren't ready to tell people for a while then that's okay. It's not like you had bad intentions or are causing harm to anyone else by keeping it to yourself and I'm sure everyone would be understanding. No matter what your reasons are for not having come out yet, even if it's just that it's hard for you to say to them (knowing they'll still be accepting), that's still a reason and it's okay if you aren't/weren't ready yet so you shouldn't feel guilty or like you owe anyone anything:slight_smile:

4. ATOMIC98

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would say when I meet him hey I am gay so if u want to find a new room that's fine if you wait and there are no chances of switching rooms things might be awkward

5. Jellal

I actually sent an email to my roommate in advance explaining that I'm transgender, just because I figured there wouldn't be much of a time for me to bring it up in conversation otherwise. And guess what, he was like "ok, that's fine. No worries." If you instead get a really negative response for coming out to a roommate this way, then tell your RA or whoever's in charge of housing and get another room!