1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready or not?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Starshine16, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Starshine16

For the past week I have gone to my myspace account 3 times with the full intention on changing my sexual orientation thing from straight to bi,but I just end up staring at the editing form thing and I just can't bring myself to click the eidt profile sign.I want to be out to everyone,so I don't know what's stopping me.I waited until my mom deleted her myspace account for this very reason.I was excited to finally be out and now...I don't know what's changed.The only thing I can think of is that I am in contact with a lot of friends from my very religious high school from there.Maybe that is my subconcious telling me that I shouldn't do it.

I am not really asking for advice here,it's more of a thing that I am trying to figure out the reason behind it.

2. Pendrin2020

Could be a lot of reasons. I just came out at work and the thing that killed me was that most people knew already. No one treats me any different either. Hell, a lot of people were touched that I thought they needed to know.

Just between you and me. I know few people who look at that particular box on myspace anyway. Usually the only dead giveaway is when people do entire blog entries about it and stuff.

Relax, Breathe.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a feeling of "no turning back" when one does something like this. Which, in essence, it is. But it's usually an important step to take.

Lex

4. quickymart

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I faced the same thing. I ended up omiting the orientation status leaving n/a. Its a huge step to tell everyone you know at once you're bi in such an indirect way. The wat I see it, only people that I care about need to know I'm gay. I"m not needlessly going to tell everyone i know. Its overhwleming to stick out your neck like that having no idea how many people see or don't see your orientation status.

For me, I told each of my close friends one by one. Not only can you see ur friends reactions (which should be generally supportive if not suprised) you will slowly develop the feeling of acceptance from ur friends in person, as oppose to the impersonal internet. When u have that close knit of friends you trust, labeling yourself on myspace has no significants.

#4 quickymart, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  5. Starshine16

I actually did it last night before I went to bed.I was worried I was going to lose friends because of it and so far no one has deleted me off of their friends list and that is a really good sign.

I am really glad I did that.It makes the knot in my stomach significantly less.

6. joss22

Congratulations, you know, it is a really strong thing for you to do, it sends a good message. I wish I had your courage to justs do something like that

7. starfish

I also just came out at work. Nothing really changed for me, and like you said a lot were touched that I told them.

I did have the opposite response on the knowing front. Everyone said they had no clue and really that kind of hurt every time they said it. I don't know why, I mean I was hiding it, so it means I did a good job.

One person did say they suspected on occasion. The wife of a co-worker said she was not surprised at all. I don't know why, but hearing that made me feel better.

8. starfish

Awesome, I am glad that you did it. It is an important step, and it does take a lot of courage to do it.

It won't be long before it feels like you are clicking the "sky is blue" box.