1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming from a religious household

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Epitomeness, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Epitomeness

Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've grown up Christian since I was 5 years old. My dads been a pastor for a couple of years. My religious upbringing has caused a war inside of me for many years, and let me tell you it's hell. I've only recently come out to my closest friends because although I still don't accept it as right, I've come to terms with my sexuality. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against anything lgbt when it's concerning anyone else but because I've been brought up with certain beliefs, I can't accept it when it's with me. I've tried really hard. Maybe one day I will. Anyway, I don't think I'll ever be able to come out to my parents. They would either schedule interventions all the time with the whole church or completely disown me. And I don't want that. Anyone ever been in my situation? If so what'd you do? Any advice welcome :confused:

2. ANerdWhoCares

I cant say I've been in that scenario, but I do have a bit of advice. The best thing for you is probably to wait just a while longer before telling them. Wait until you can live on your own and support yourself financially, so if your parents do react negatively, it wont have such a profound impact on your way of life.

3. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, first off... I don't know much about religion. Though I believe in god, I'm not really a devout Christian. If anything, my beliefs might lie closer to that of Quakers. And maybe it's because of my ignorance, that I can't completely see why God would hate different sexualities. He loves all his children, doesn't he? I know there are some passages in the bible that are interpreted to say that he doesn't, but I still don't really buy into it. He created us, right? And our sexuality is something we can't change about ourselves, right? So we didn't really choose this, he did... Right? And it doesn't really make sense that he would create something just to hate on it. Again, I'm completely ignorant. This is just my view point. If anyone cares to explain to me, feel free.

But back to your dilemma... I agree with ANerdWhoCares. Try waiting until you're out of the house. Or, in the meantime, make them proud of the person you are without them knowing. They shouldn't have anything against you as a person. Them seeing you as a great person will help you coming out in the long run.

4. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, first off... I don't know much about religion. Though I believe in god, I'm not really a devout Christian. If anything, my beliefs might lie slightly closer to that of Quakers. And maybe it's because of my ignorance, that I can't completely see why God would hate different sexualities. He loves all his children, doesn't he? I know there are some passages in the bible that are interpreted to say that he doesn't, but I still don't buy into it completely. He created us, right? And our sexuality is something we can't change about ourselves, right? So we didn't really choose this, he did... Right? And it doesn't really make sense that he would create something just to hate on it. Again, I'm completely ignorant. This is just my view point. If anyone cares to explain to me, feel free. That'd be appreciated.

But back to your dilemma... I agree with ANerdWhoCares. Try waiting until you're out of the house. Or, in the meantime, make them proud of the person you are without them knowing. They shouldn't have anything against you as a person. Them seeing you as a great person will help you coming out in the long run.

#4 Linus, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

The Bible said ''no man should lie with another man'' [man doesn't include woman]
    In the past, when male homosexuality was illegal, female homosexuality wasn't illegal [but asked to be kept on the down low] Reference: BBC iPlayer - Tyger Takes On... - Series 2: 1. How Straight Am I?
    Therefore, even though this won't help males, it might help you.

#5 Secrets5, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015