1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kyrin The Llama, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Kyrin The Llama

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents know that I am gay. They have known for a while, ever since my friend's mom read his texts and contacted my parents.

They have accepted that I am gay. Recently, I went with my school's GSA to a youth summit, and after I returned home, my mom made a comment that still makes me uncomfortable. She said, "I am okay with you being gay, it's okay, but if you start crossdressing or something, I can never get behind or accept that." We had a discussion about transgender people, and my mom called Caitlyn Jenner a guy, and repeatedly expressed the view that it made no sense and that she could not support her choice.

I had just begun questioning my gender at that point, and now that I am settled in my identity as genderfluid, I am not sure how I feel about coming out to them. I currently don't have much of a desire to come out to them, but I have come out to many of my friends. I want to be honest with them, especially with my past, but I'm afraid they won't accept it.

What should I do?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm sorry your mom said that:frowning2: Perhaps you could ease into it? Like start dressing more the way you want slowly (if you don't already do that). I don't know how much you guys talk about this stuff, but maybe you could keep the discussion about transgender people open with your mom. Maybe it's hard for your mom to understand with Caitlyn Jenner because she'd been presenting as a very masculine guy her whole life until recently and in a very short amount of time was able to make the transition.
    Maybe you could bring it up more and use it as an opportunity to explain it, or like if you hear stories of kids who are transgender and discuss it with your mom, saying how you feel about it and why and maybe you could help her to understand more.

I'm sorry if this wasn't very good advice, but I wish you the best<3