1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my mother is not what's worrying me, its my brothers, or one of my brothers

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by casjerem, Jan 18, 2009.

1. casjerem

casjerem Guest

I'm 18, fresh in college, and gay. Some of my friends know, my roommate knows, and up till now, they have been very excepting. I still haven't come out to my mother or anyone else in my family and my best friends don't know either. My dilema is not so much with my best friends or my mother, I believe, I hope that she will understand, she is the understanding type and she cares for me alot and I'm all she has in this world, well I do I have two little brothers, but to my mother, she feels like I'm the only one she can count on and trust with everything. Me and my mother are very close, like she would tell me almost anything, I am her book of secrets, though most of the time its hard for me to confine in her cause she might not understand because I'm not that good of an explainer. There are times that I have made her feel like I cant come to her for help because I said she wouldnt understand, but I dont want her to think that way, she is my mother, she is one most person I would do anything for because she has given up so much for me. My best friends I am kind of worried about because they are hardcore christians and they may not understand, and their family will definitely disapprove. Now the biggest issue I have on my mind are my brothers. I have two siblings, one is 15 years old and the other is 11. What I am worrying about is my fifteen year old brother who thinks that being gay is dumb, stupid, wrong, and disgusting will take it the wrong way. My younger brother, I wont tell him till he is older because he wont understand, he is to young. The rest of my family might have an issue with it, cause some of them are either not very excepting of it or they are very religious. So if anyone has any advice on how I should tell them, I would really appreciate it.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Telling my mother is not what's worrying me, its my brothers, or one of my brothe

Welcome to EC! :wave:

Offhand, I'd say it'd be best to tell your mother first, and let her get used to the idea for awhile before you tackle your brother(s). That way, you'll have somebody else in your corner when you go to tell him.

As far your brother goes, don't worry too much about his "gays are disgusting" talk. In almost every case, people who say that sort of thing simply don't know any better. I have yet to meet someone say "I've met several gay guys, and I realize now that they're awful people." It's always someone who doesn't know any. Once confronted with the fact that they already know someone gay, they tend to change their tune. Add to that the fact that he's 15 - which is prime insecurity time - he's almost certainly doing it out of bluster. Trying to seem bigger and cooler than he actually feels inside.

Lex

3. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Re: Telling my mother is not what's worrying me, its my brothers, or one of my brothe

I'm with Lex, if you are going to tell either of them, tell your mum first. Going by how you describe your relationship with her, it wont take her long to be accepting of it. Keep in mind you've known for years that your gay, she'll be finding out for the first time (presumably)

With your brother, i think its an act. He probably doesn't have an opinion either way about gay people, but is just following what the mainstream is about gay people. Our generation is the most 'open' to being gay, so if your mother is ok with it, your brother(s) will be aswell.