1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to know if you're ready?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itsbrooklyn, Nov 19, 2015.

1. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've recently been thinking about coming out to my mum but I don't know if I'm ready or not, I want to but at the same time I'm afraid because I don't know what she'll say, I'm not sure if me being afraid is the only thing that's stopping me from telling her or if it's because I'm really not ready. I'd just like to know how I can try and get over that fear, and how you knew that you were ready.

2. Ihavetojustbeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when the time is right you will know :slight_smile:

3. guitar

I would make sure of a few things: how certain are you of your mom accepting you? If it goes horribly wrong, is there someone you can turn to? Are you ready to answer a number of potential questions like "how long have you known?"

Coming out was one if the most fearful things I've ever had to do: you're putting yourself out there and hoping people don't destroy the real you. In my case I had total Acceptance and I'm grateful for that. My mom & my relationship hot A LOT stronger after I came out to her. I had nothing to fear but fear itself.

I wish you all the best. Let us know how it goes if/when you decide to tell her :slight_smile:

4. Mila

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi iamelmo,

Coming out is a scary thing for most of us, so it's totally natural to feel this way.

There is no guarantee how your mum will react, and in that way, the unknown is what really makes it so difficult. Make sure you are ready for any sort of response - from super accepting to super negative. In other words, try to be prepared and remember that you don't have to rush it. Also see which mean of coming out suits you best - face to face, a written letter perhaps?

You are telling her the truth, you are telling her who you really are, and showing that you trust her enough to come out. There is no way to predict how she will react, but it is something you will have to do sooner or later. Coming out is a very rewarding experience - you stop hiding in the shadows and being 100% true to people you love.

Do what feels right for you and when it feels right for you. I will hold my fingers crossed for you! As guitar mentioned above - do let us know how it goes!

Good luck and take care,
    Mila

5. biggayguy

Is it scarier to stay in the closet and be found out? That is a major reason I came out. It was scary but freeing.