1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend Left Me Cause He Loved Me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BitterEdge, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Awhile back, I made a friend off of EC, whom has now left. He lives relatively close and is even transferring to my school next year. We have been talking alot and eventually he told me he liked me, to which at the time I said the same. Both of us have been in hard circumstances and he battles depression like no ones business, he might be bipolar.

Well flash forward to last night. He asked me if I got got back with my bf, to which I said I had. Then he told me he was upset and I tried to comfort him. Then out of nowhere told me I led him on and played off his emotions so I could laugh. Then I tried to answer and he told me to leave him alone and to stop it. He also unadded me on facebook. I lost a friend last night, it hurts that he said I used him especially since he became a close friend. But I guess he had fallen for me and it was less painful to get rid of me as a friend.

Thoughts?

2. kaster

I'm sure your friend will come around. The facebook thing will be out of spite more spur of the moment than anything else. If he's transferring to your school you'll see more of him then. Leave it for a day or two and try calling him maybe apologise for if he felt that you were leading him on but explain that it wasn't your intention to do so.
    If you've been close friends for a while then I'm sure it'll work itself out eventually. Explain that your feelings for your boyfriend at the moment are strong? And that for now you want to try and make it work with your boyfriend but you still want friendship with him.
    Just tell him how you're feeling. If he needs some time, give him the time.
    Hope this helps a little. Good luck (*hug*) :slight_smile:

3. Louise

If you have serious reason to believe that he is bi-polar then you absolutely must NOT take anything mean he says or does to heart. This is just one of the coping mechanisms of the bi-polar person. You cannot reason with them because they are not in a reasonable state. You can only wait, if he comes to you and talks things through tell him your side of things but know that he may not be able to take them on board. A bi-polar person going through crisis hears everything in a distorted manner which only feeds their madness of the moment.

Sorry if this isn't very helpfull but dealing with bi polar people is extreamly difficult and wearing. You need to be really sure if this friendship is worth persuing or if it will just drain you of all your positive energy. My sister is bi-polar, she was in crisis over Christmas. :icon_sad:

4. Dazed

Dazed Guest

just give him time people say and do weird things when they are upset.

if he is bipolar and a doctor tells him so. make sure he sees more then one doctor. bi polar tricky. my sister went to one doctor for four year because they said she was bi polar had her on all kinds of meds and her new doctor said she was never bipolar and the meds could have caused her serious harm

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry about your situation. It is always tough to lose a close friend. He seems to have been really upset by the news. If I may ask what did you tell him?

If he is bi-polar, yes it will take a while for him to come around and as Louise mentioned it is a comping mechanism. It is possible that he will come around to it. It is quite possible that for him the news that you are back with your bf, came as a surprise too. Remember that in the best of circumstances it is hard to deal with news like this.

Give it a few days. Try talking with him and just let him know that you didn't mean to hurt him and that you never used him. You were telling this to him, because he is your friend. Let him know that you do value his friendship and that you don't want to lose it. If you want, send him a friend request again. See what he says.

I hope this helps a bit.