1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jasen, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jasen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I realy need to talk face to face with someone. Iwas thinking that I should try a school counsler because they can't tell what we are talking about. But I would go to my bestfriend but I haven't came out to her and she use to like me so I dont know how she would act. Though she has a bf now I dont think it would bother that bad.

What do you think

2. JustAnotherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my opinion (and thats all it is) you would better with your best friend, purely because there will be a level of trust there.

So perhaps now is the time to come out to your best friend, coming out can be a scary thing to do and difficult at times but it does become easier over time and the more you do it. If your unsure, try dropping hints and see how she reacts to them and take it from there (*hug*)

3. SkyTears

I remember when I told my friend she had a crush on me (I didn't know at the time) but now she is my closest friend.

Really it is just all about who you feel comfortable telling. So take it from there.

4. jotheoneandonly

i agree with justanothername. as she is your bestfriend, trust her to understand you. only when you think you are ready, coming out is not a rush, you can do it in your own time and when you feel secure. it is a scary thing to do, but you will feel so much better after. i think you should give her a big hug and shout it to the heavens! maybe thats just me who does that.... anyhow, SMILE!

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think both the counselor and your best friend are excellent choices.

Talking with a counselor can also be very helpful in particular if you are just starting the coming out process. Having that resource is always good! Are you short changing your friend? Absolutely not! Confiding in a counselor before coming out to your friend(s) can actually help you to be less nervous, help you to gain some reassurance, and make you even more comfortable before taking that all important first step.

When you do decide to talk to your best friend, take her aside and say "there is something important I want to share with you because I know I can trust you and I want you to know me" and take it from there.

If you are still a bit unsure as to how it might go, wait a bit. Talk to a counselor. Maybe even try joining a GLBT group at your school or community (that is if you haven't done so yet).

Throughout your coming out process you will need support. Having a strong support network (which can include your friends, a counselor, a LGBT group, teachers, EC, etc...) can only help you.

I hope this helps a bit!

6. jasen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks but we dont have a glbt

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that! Your support network will still be strong even if you don't have access to a LGBT group. I think it would be really good if you would still try seeing a counselor. As you go through the coming out process, that resource can become invaluable. There will be times when you will need to rely on that support network.