1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to. But how? I'm scared.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BoyDayGirlDay, Nov 21, 2015.

1. BoyDayGirlDay

I really want to come out as trans to my mum and dad but i dont know how. I'm so scared. i want to be out in the next few weeks but idk how or when. i would love any help or advice. thanks.

2. Guelito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think there is a correct how or when to come out. Here is what I would do. I would write down what it's going to be like talking with them... the way you want it to do. See yourself talking with them and it's easier then you think. See yourself being able to really express who you are and feeling proud of yourself, even as your nervous because you know that you are freeing yourself, and nobody else can do that but you. See your parents reacting really positively, maybe its not the perfect response you would like from them but they are people too and may need some time to get used to it. See yourself that night, going to sleep proud of yourself, and knowing that you will never be that scared again because you did it. Feel how much stronger you are because you did the thing you though you couldn't do.

After you write this, write down what it's like 5 years from now, 10 years from now because you had the courage to come out. See the impact on your life in the years to come. Choosing at 13 to be who you really are, imagine at 24 how free you will be. Think of the people you admire who have embraced who they are and don't worry about what others think, thats a special freedom that few possess, and you are the only one who can give that to yourself.
    Then write about your parents and your family, and the positive impact they have from your coming out. See them feeling more free to be who they are because of you.

I can't promise that your parents will respond great, they may not. What I do know is that when you prepare this way, you are going to be a powerful person standing in front of them. Aways remember that who you choose to be, has a great impact on the world, even on people you don't know and will never meet. You are alot more powerful then you know. You having the courage to be yourself in the face of fear and whatever you face, is always going to be worth it. Remember the long view. By that I mean, things dont have to work out today, that doesnt mean they are not working out. Life is an evolution and things take time. I'm very touched and inspired by the thought of you at 13 having the kind of courage you do. Keep living like that and you will be fine.