1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would probably crush his dreams...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gleek99, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Gleek99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's my uncle.

He doesn't seem like he would think the same of me if I ever came out to him. And here's the deal..

So, I'm staying over my aunt's house for the night and my uncle was asking me questions, trying to "break my shell" (cuz I'm shy). It kills me sometimes when he goes on about how he'll be "jealous as hell" WHEN I get a boyfriend, and how he tries to give me tips about finding the right GUY. Sometimes it's jokingly, but still... I always put on that "pretend like you agree and look happy" smile. And it's even worse when the rest of my family are all (jokingly) up in my face about having a secret boyfriend and crap.

But here's the reason I made this thread.

While we were talking, my uncle started talking about bullies, and how they "must have got hurt by their parents when they were younger" and how you can tell what kids parents are like by the way the kids act. That got me thinking about how some people believe homosexuality is caused by people going through traumatic experiences (like molestation) when they were young, etc.

I'm just making assumptions here, but I think he might be one of those people.. I sure hope not. I love my uncle, and would like (someday) to come out to him.

If I sound ignorant or anything, I don't mean to be!

Thanks,
    - Raven

2. Khorlidir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do you need any advice on this matter? You seem to have asked no questions.

If anything, you have to work as a transparent wall for your family: let their opinions come through you without your being hurt or offended.

If you would really wish to come out to your uncle, you shall not crush his dreams. He is more like a friend to you, not like a parent, so fear not.

3. Gleek99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Khorlidir :slight_smile:

I just wanted to kinda write it out, and if anyone had any thoughts then feel free to share :3

4. jj71981

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure your statements about your uncle is missing some context and just joking, but on the surface level, they could be cause for concern. Like he has a crush on you, or something. But like I said, it is most likely just me taking it out of context.

I, myself, do have a history of molestation, but I don't believe that it caused my homosexuality. But, I will say, that it may have had an impact on how I handled it or my attempts to suppress it.

5. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was full on raped... by a girl now I agree with the AP... It didn't make me gay but I did(try) to suppress it a lot more but and basically got so deep in cover that I guess I brainwashed myself...

As for your uncle's statements... Jokingly or not if he offends you say something but if you aren't ready try not to expose your sexuality... Just try to say something like "Not to be rude but that is not your concern and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't discuss my love life"

6. Gleek99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate ur thoughts :slight_smile:

jj17981 - I'm sorry to hear you went through that.. 3:

He makes jokes to me about that almost every time I go over their house X3 He's 60 something and I think he's just trying to be funny, but yeha.

dylanisawesome19 - I'm planing on keeping my orientation under wraps for as long as necessary.. at least to my family, and I'll take ur advice about defending myself :wink:

My prayers are with you both :wink:

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody knows why we hold a certain orientation. Nobody.