1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, shit...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wander, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My dad just dropped the d-bomb on me. He and my mom are officially, legally split. I mentioned awhile back that they had moved apart, with my mom going into an apartment, but apparently they divorced way back in early December and didn't tell me until now so as not to ruin the holidays.

I'm not really that moved by it since they HAVE been living apart for some time now and I kinda got used to that. I figured it wasn't a temporary thing when my mom began buying furniture for the apartment, and the simple fact of it being a legal matter didn't come as much of a surprise.

No, I don't blame myself. Or them. I'm not really that angry at them.

The only real reason why I'm posting this is to get some information from other people with divorced parents. Is there anything I need to know about the situation in general?

2. yesplease

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's tough. At dinner one night, my parents announced that they would be getting divorced, and 2 days later, my dad moved out.

They might act weird around each other, they might still talk a lot and interact, or they might never interact again.

It's just something you've got to live with, and roll with the punches. Take things as they come, but don't necessarily accept them right way. Don't be afraid to say what you think, if something's bothering you, if you think something should be different..

You've probably figured much of this out by yourself, and things probably won't change too much from the way they are now.

3. Mickey

Just remember that they love you. And maybe now they'll be happier, which should make you feel better. Divorce sucks but being in an unhappy marriage sucks more.
    Just keep the lines of communication open. I agree with the above poster. If you have something to say,say it. They're still your parents. They'll be there for you,so be there for them,too.

4. Trace

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with the posters above me. Most divorce parents just can't stand the person they are with, but the fact is they will love you no matter what. Just be open and talk to them, they will listen. I actually wish it was like tat when my parents split up. Just remember that they will always be there for you no matter what. :slight_smile: