1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I come out this holiday or christmas

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theclosetmaster, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Theclosetmaster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    the thing is, I know 100% that all of my family and relatives are pro-gay and are supportive, so I'm sure I'll get no hate. But there are a few problems: 1.Bisexuality comes with a lot of assumptions. "So you're a slut?" "But you're only half-gay then, right?" "You can't have a preference" "It's just a phase" etc. and my relatives are probably going to say stuff like that. 2. I don't want to explain to the little ones. I have two cousins (one 4 one 6) and a 5 y/o brother. I'm afraid their friends at school have influenced them negatively or gave them the wrong idea on homosexuality/bisexuality. 3. I just don't know how to say it. With my friends, it's easy, I just sent them a text saying I'm bi and that was it.
    I know I eventually want to come out but I've only discovered it about a week ago, so maybe it's too soon for relatives.

2. Violet4

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!

If you are sure they will be supportive, then you are very lucky! However, I wouldn't advise anyone to come out during the holidays, especially in family reunions or dinners. The reason for this is that, even if you get positive responses, you might come across some unexpected ones too and all the questions will have everyone focusing on you instead of enjoying the family time. It's okay if you decide to do so, but I would choose another time and spend the time to talk to each family member (or little groups) so that they can connect with you on a more intimate level.

Good luck and happy holidays!^^

3. jj71981

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How great for you to be this ready! If you feel that the time is right and within your comfort level, why not. It seems like you already know what some of the potential responses are, just be prepared with some responses of your own to the different kinds of comments that might be made. When I came out to my family, the questions included if I was seeing anyone or if I had dated anyone in the past. In thinking it out now, they may feel like there is a bit of catching up to do with me since I had been hiding my own secret that the question just naturally came out. So, think of it is as that kind of mind set, rather than the more judgmental side, since you stated that your family is supportive of the culture in general.

4. Mikelhpc228

HI,
    IMO, I'd wait. Families may appear supportive in the abstract, but families often react negatively when confronted with one of their own "breaking ranks". I have been closeted for more than 40 years! People always assumed I was "Gay", but I deeply hid my bisexuality from myself and society. I am coming out, slowly, on my terms-first to myself, second to my therapist. I am thinking I may Never tell my family. At some point I will come-out to my wife. But on my terms, when I feel ready. ONce you are out, yuo cant go back to the closet. If you have a therapist, counselor, or other non-judgemental support, I'd suggest you start there. Better in a safe setting, rather than a major family event! The outcome is too unpredictable, especially at the holidays, with children in attendance. If you must tell your family, choose the best time for you.

5. Theclosetmaster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hadn't even thought of that, I think I'll try your idea instead. Makes more sense