1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it a good idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DreamerBoy17, Nov 24, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really want to come out to my 4 closest friends during our sleepover on Friday as a trans guy, but I'm not sure how good of an idea it will be. I've grown so impatient with pretty much everything right now. I want people to call me the right pronouns and my name so, so badly. I just want to be recognized as the boy that I am. I'm not scared of coming out at all. I'm very experienced in the art. The question isn't "can I?" It's "should I?"
    I know for a fact that two of my friends are likely to react negatively, even hostilely. They haven't even accepted my sexuality. One of the other ones is my best friend, the first one I came out to, she's extremely accepting. My 4th friend will probably be alienated at first but I'm fairly certain she'll come around.

I really really want to come out, and I hope I'm not being rash here. Because as much as I feel that I need to come out as trans, I'm worried that my own needs don't outweigh those of our group. I don't want to tear us apart or alienate these people permanently. They're my best friends. On one hand, I just want to be free to be myself and honest to them. On the other, I don't want to screw up such a tight knit group. Caught in a rough place... :help:

2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you are to the point that combing out would be a real positive. Obviously, be considerate and honest. I think you should go for it! Let me know how it works out for you. :slight_smile:

3. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well if you really want them to know, which is perfectly understandable, then I think you should. Just make sure you're prepared for those possible negative reactions. If they were to react negatively or hostilely though, they probably would react that way no matter what time you tell them. & I understand your point, but don't feel like you're putting your own needs ahead of your group's. As your best friends, they should be accepting. You're not being selfish or doing anything wrong for wanting to be open & honest about who you are with the people that are important to you. I hope it goes well, & your friendship stays intact aside from what their initial reaction might be. Good luck ^^

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out last night! Everyone took it surprisingly well! One of the friends I was worried about has a transgender aunt, and she was surprisingly informed about the whole thing! The other one I was worried about is processing a lot of information, and I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. The other two are accepting and great. The hardest part of the whole thing is their reluctance to use my pronouns and name, but I think in time they will get used to the idea! :slight_smile: