1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of the Inevitable (maybe?)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AgenderMoose, Nov 25, 2015.

1. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty well completely out to the family that I live with (the gender's still kind of grey--they don't really get my pronouns), but I'm not out to anyone in my family besides that. And everyone else in my family are pretty devout in their beliefs and I have heard many a homophobic and transphobic statement from them.

That being said, I'm still tired of hiding. And I've thought countless times of coming out to them, but I knowthat it's not going to go over well. Not being straight is one thing that's not gonna go over well, but... being nonbinary is also gonna be an issue, more likely than not. Plus, as some family members do, my relationship status is going to be asked about, and I'm dating a transboy. While it would be easy for me to just say "boyfriend" and whatnot (which is what I would do), if they were to want to meet up with him, well...he hasn't transitioned yet (his parents wouldn't allow it) so I'm sure questions would be asked.

There's not much that they can do to me since I don't live with any of them, and I'll be turning 18 in less than a month, but I'm still worried and unsure of what I should do. Should I find a time to come out to them just to get it off my chest, or should I just leave it to where I don't mention it unless I'm asked? I feel like I'm kicking at the closet door more than anything right now.

2. Sytry

Out Status:
    Some people
    Really depends on the situation - are you really 100% safe if you come out? If you are and you're tired of hiding coming out seems like a good idea, though you should think about what the reaction could do to you. Negative reactions could make you feel just bad about it in the end which might defeat the purpose, in other cases it might feel liberating to finally be out even when there are negative responses, as long as you can feel okay knowing that you have family members who think badly of you because of your identity. Of course I can't know how you are and what exactly you're prepared for. Waiting until you're asked to come out is easier of course, but I don't think you'll ever get the chance to come out as nonbinary that way since I doubt anyone's gonna ask about gender identity.