1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JAA1297, Nov 26, 2015.

1. JAA1297

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello to all,

When I was around 12 years old, I knew I was gay. I never consciously admitted it to myself, rather I actively convinced myself for the next 6 years that I am normal. However, recently, I came out to myself. I am still adjusting to this; I feel very strange around people now. I have told only 2 of my closest friends, and would like to share this information with my parents. However, I know for a fact that they are very against homosexuality, and my father often speaks out against it. For them, it is grounded in religious ideology. They care about me very much, and always tell me that they love me. However, I am concerned that if I do tell them, I will not only disappoint them greatly, they may not react well to the news. Should I or should I not share what I have learned about myself with my parents? If so, how would I go about it in a gentle manner? I appreciate everybody's help.

2. Theclosetmaster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    IMO, I think you shouldn't tell your parents yet. You should tell some more friends or other relatives who you know won't judge you first. Especially don't tell them if you're still living with them. I've heard too many stories on this website where someone came out to their homophobic parents while living with them and they usually suffered through neglect, verbal abuse, and even sometimes physical abuse. If you're a grown man in your own house, just tell them when you're ready.
    I would sit them down and tell them you love them very much and and tell them you love them unconditionally. Then, just say it. Honestly, there's never a great way to put it when coming out to someone who's homophobic, so just say it.
    I hope this helped you and I hope your parents accept you

3. Zarc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with what has been said. Just stay put until you stand more independently. You coming out right now might just hurt both you and your relationship with your parents.