1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was anyone shocked?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lovetoomuch, Nov 26, 2015.

1. lovetoomuch

I'm currently out to only one really close friend, but I'm planning to come out in the summer to my family and more friends. What is probably going to make it harder is the fact that many people don't suspect it. After spending Thanksgiving with my extended family today, who I care about deeply, it is hard for me to process how surprised they are probably going to be by the news. I'm even more scared to see what my immediate family thinks.

I thought some people would suspect me to be gay by now since I haven't been in relationships or anything. However, my parents constantly say "your future wife" and things like that. I guess I don't fit the stereotypes, so my family and friends are not expecting it at this point.

So, has anyone ever dealt with their family being completely shocked? Did it seem to make it harder for your family? Thanks for any help and replies!

2. lovetoomuch

Sorry to bother you all again, but I didn't get a response to this, so I was still wondering if someone had input to add.

Did anyone come out and it was unsuspected? Thanks again!

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, sometimes the people around us "suspect" we aren't straight even if they don't portray that back to us. Such as how you haven't had relationships like others may have (same here), that's considered a flag sometimes. They may just continue saying "your future wife" because that is the socially acceptable way to phrase those things. Or they might think you could be gay but choose to phrase it that way just in case so it's not weird or awkward if you then said no, you're straight.
    The further in history we climb, the less surprising it is when our straight-seeming (to us) loved ones come out. So they might not find it shocking at all.
    And if they do, that doesn't mean they won't accept you. They'll just learn a new fact about their family member/friend.

My parents didn't act shocked when I came out, they were surprisingly supportive. After having them previously only describe negative views of the LGBT+ community, I was the one who ended up surprised.
    My father is still homo/transphobic, and doesn't bring up the fact that I am part of that community. But he has other serious anger issues so our relationship was already dead essentially. My dear (conservative Southern Baptist Christian) mother on the other hand changed her demeanor on the subject and generally started treating it in a much kinder tone and dropped the negative comments altogether.

I've always been extremely shy and was homeschooled without friends, I came across as the perfect little daughter who never broke the rules. So I kind of think the people around me would not have guessed it, other than the fact that I never dated so surely they must have considered the possibility. Or they just thought it was because I was so isolated.
    Like you, I've only ever been asked about opposite-gender partners and future husbands for me. I'm out to whoever asks, but no one ever does.

Sorry for the long post without any solid advice, but I thought your thread deserved replies. I really hope your family is supportive, but whatever their reaction, you can be proud of yourself when you do come out simply for having the bravery and respect for yourself to do so. :slight_smile:
    Maybe you could casually bring up the topic of LGBT news stories or something and test what your family might be thinking. I have my family on Facebook so I regularly see their homophobia and ignorant beliefs, along with the rare supportive gesture. Though sometimes it takes knowing someone who is part of that group for some people to open their minds. (*hug*)

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I came out to my mom and stepdad about my sexuality for the first time, they were a bit surprised. Well, I mean, I did kinda just throw it out there. It went like this:

Me: "So I have a girlfriend."
    Mom: "A girlfriend?"
    Me: "Yup."
    Mom: "Oh."
    Stepdad: "...So are you gay...?"
    Me: "Nah, don't think so. Bi, maybe" (this was before I identified as pan)
    Stepdad: "Okay."

And it was left at that. So, I didn't really have to deal with absolute shock or disgust. They were just a little offput, but totally okay with it. That being said, I can't exactly help on the "shocked parents" scenario. As long as you are able to calmly sit down with your family and talking to them about it, perhaps they will come around? I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help, but I wish you good luck.

5. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom always talked about how I would make some woman very happy someday and even shipped me hardcore with my friend Katelyn, but she wasn't shocked when I told her I was gay. Taken aback, yes, but not shocked.

That being said, I do have some stereotypical traits that made more sense to her when I told her.

So, no, I haven't really had anyone tell me that they were shocked, but I've really only been telling the people who I knew would be accepting...up until this point, at
    least. I've reached a turning point where I really don't care anymore about what people think. I'm tired of hiding it.