1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by happyraindance, Nov 26, 2015.

1. happyraindance

I have come out to only my twin but I want to come out to my parents. I am 15 and still living with my parents, so I'm not suee if I should, though. My parents are very religious and it is their belief that all gays and anyone not straight are going to hell. My mom thinks that if you love someone and they love you, whether you're the same gender or not doesn't matter. She has told me that she'll still love me if I'm lesbian and has even asked if there are any girls at school I like. I'm not lesbian though, I'm transmale and pansexual. My parents have very clear ideas on gender identity (you are the body you're born in and you're going to hell if you think differently) but I think my mom is more lenient than my dad, so I'd tell her first if I do come out. But even she has very clear ideas about masculinity that I don't meet, so I don't know... Should I tell them? Please help!

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should think about it very carefully. If your parents have very traditional religious views, it may do more harm than good to speak out now. Sometimes, it's better to bide our time and wait until we have a degree of independence and personal security before we come out to conservative parents. I know it's hard to keep it bottled up and it really goes against my wider belief that you shouldn't keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself, but there are times when you need to ask if it will make matters worse rather than better.

If you can tell trusted friends and other adults first it will give you a decent support system to go to, if/when you decide to tell your parents.

3. happyraindance

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll tell my gramie first (she's more open minded and has loose religious views) and then decied if its worth coming-out to my parents at this time.