1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out - Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Minori, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Minori

I need to come out as Trans to my dad and brother eventually.
    As, I'm really starting to change and, I need them to know before big changes happen.
    My dad doesn't live with me. My brother does.
    Both aren't exactly, trans or gay friendly.
    I'm not sure how to exactly say it. what can I do?

2. klix

First, are you in a safe place to be coming out, do you have family or friends who you can go stay with if they react badly?

Do you have a close friend who you can talk to?

Once you have these in place, then depending on how you want to go you could sit them down and tell them how you've felt and what you've decided to do, or you could write a letter to make sure your whole story is communicated.

What ever you do, be prepared for some unsettling questions, and initial shock. When I came out my mum who is incredibly supportive asked some questions that just were not as supportive as I would like, but the next day she got her head round it and was more supportive.

Remember what ever happens, people on here will be there to support you, there are various support groups out there and helplines too.

3. Minori

I don't live with my father. I do live with my brother though. But my mom is here, and she supports me somewhat. She supports but hasn't fully accepted it...she's the only one I've told as I know she'd take it better than anyone else.
    She's had to lie to my brother when I go to trans support groups so he doesn't know.

Thank you so much...
    Maybe a letter would be better,..

4. klix

I can only speak from my experience coming out as gay, which I feel tends to get a better response than coming out as trans, because people are still not as open minded about gender as they are sexual orientation.

I wish you all the best, if your mum is there she'll support you if she's already on side. Have you spoken to her about coming out to the other family members?