1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out is a lifelong process- and its stressing me out!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConverseCody, Nov 28, 2015.

1. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, my name is Rory

I'm 21 years old and I came out two years ago. Ally my friends know that I am gay, my parents, aunt, cousins and uncle too, and to top it all off I have a wonderful boyfriend.

I thought the stress of coming out would be over now but it isn't. There are still lots of people who still don't know. Old family friends, people that I only see now and again. I can never just bring up 'my boyfriend' as it fills me with fear. I feel like I need to actually come out to them first before dropping that in. The people I tell aren't really gonna care but it still frightens me so much. I constantly feel like I have this massive secret to get off my chest.

I had two part time jobs over the holidays. In both of them I was never really able to come out. There were other gay people at both these places who acted as if it was no big deal. However, for me, it took a huge amount of courage to say anything and I had a huge amount of anxiety that I would get found out.

I have been trying CBT to challenge my thoughts but its just making the obsession worse. It feels like its constantly on my mind and that I'm living in fear

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. rachael1954

You totally do NOT have to come out to them first before dropping that in. And you don't even have to drop it in or come out at all to people who aren't in your inner circle or to anyone you are uncomfortable with sharing that info.

Yes we are always assumed to be heterosexual unless we wear clothes/act in very stereotypical obvious ways. If we're not 'in your face gay' people may just assume we are het and that is so annoying. But it doesn't mean we have to come out to everyone, especially if the feeling of coming out to a certain person fills you with dread.

Your main support system, the people that matter know so my advice is to not worry about the rest, especially if it causes you stress. Enjoy your family and boyfriend and friends, lean on them. The other people are just peripheral in your life anyway, there's no law saying if we're out to certain people we have to be out with everyone.

#2 rachael1954, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  3. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're asked about your relationship status or if it comes up some other way, obviously, you'll have to discuss it. Otherwise, however, I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Clearly, you are proud and confident about your sexuality. Don't let a little fear make you think otherwise. In some way, it will always be there but you don't need to worry about it.

4. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you :slight_smile: Thats great advice. I guess I always feel under great pressure that I sort of need to come out to people when I dont

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rory, it's almost 20 years since I came out as gay to my nearest and dearest and since then I've been fairly relaxed about it. If the important people know, accept and support you, nobody else really matters. You don't even have to "come out" to those people. I think Rachel (above) stated it well; they are peripheral in your life.

Look at my profile and my out status and you will see how I approach the issue now. I tell people when it naturally comes up in a conversation, just like straight people do. I don't broadcast my sexuality, but I don't conceal it either. In conversation I often say "us" or "we" and if someone asks me directly or mistakenly assumes I am straight, I will correct them, but I will never shake hands with a new acquaintance and immediately tell them I'm gay. That really would seem odd.

The world is changing and society is becoming more used to same sex relationships. As time goes on, I think people and businesses will avoid making assumptions, but we're still some way off that point yet. Maybe it's a challenge/campaign our community needs to face up to.

6. guitar

Rory, I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. I was out to most of my close friends and family, some coworkers. Finally it just became too much. Some knew, some didn't and it would overwhelm me at times. It's a lot to keep track of! It took me a few weeks to mentally psych myself up, but in the summer I wrote a letter whichI posted to Facebook and emailed to family. I don't know your circumstances - coming out entirely might be the right thing for you, it might not. For me, it taught me I had nothing to fear but fear itself. Since coming out I feel so much more comfortable in my own skin. I'm much less stressed out and way more relaxed. If someone new finds out I'm gay, oh well. I am who I am.

#6 guitar, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  7. guitar

Rory, I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. I was out to most of my close friends and family, some coworkers. Finally it just became too much. Some knew, some didn't and it would overwhelm me at times. It's a lot to keep track of! It took me a few weeks to mentally psych myself up, but in the summer I wrote a letter I posted to Facebook and emailed to family. I don't know your circumstances - coming out entirely might be the right thing for you, it might not. For me, it taught me I had nothing to fear but fear itself. Since coming out I feel so much more comfortable in my own skin. If someone new finds out I'm gay, oh well. I am who I am.

8. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you Patrick for your advice. I wish I could be totally relaxed about but I find it really hard. As stated by someone else its almost as if I keep tabs on who knows and who doesn't which is a stupid way of thinking about I know but it still stresses me out. As for not caring what anyone else other than my nearest and dearest think, I guess thats something I need to work on. Thanks again for the advice :slight_smile: