1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by europeanguy, Nov 29, 2015.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    my Dad is a constant tease, he will tease you about anything....that he thinks isnt true (for some reason...) and he used to call me gay alot. now thats not the worrying part, the worrying part is he suddenly stopped it. without being asked to.

I was talking to my mum about a guy at college who is essentially bullying me and how i thought he is possibly doing it because he might be attracted to me (long story) and she said "if you swing that way, dont date him".

do you think this means they know? because my dad only teases about things that he thinks arnt true so that means he must think i am gay? and my mother saying that means she might think that too? as if she thought i was straight she wouldnt say that would she? or am i over thinking this....

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're dad stopped after you had your talk with your mum, they probably know, and they are probably cool about it. They might be giving you the opportunity to come out to them! But that's just my guess, trust your instincts, you know your parents better than anyone else.
    Either way you are the person who is in control of the situation. Do what you think is best.
    Everyone here is supporting you.

3. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    oh no to clarify, my dad stopped before what i was saying with my mother (also i never said i liked him or anything that would incriminate me) she just said "if you swing that way" so casually kind of makes me suspect

EDIT: also sometimes it does actually feel like they are baiting me. thinking about it

#3 europeanguy, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  4. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whether they suspect or not, trust your instincts as to when and how to tell them.
    You are the one that's in control of the situation.
    (*hug*)

5. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    thanks for the advice :slight_smile: i may need another thread to work out another issue but this is very helpful :slight_smile:

6. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Do they know? Maybe. To m it sounds like you're looking to far into things, but who knows for sure?

Should you be worried? Probably not. If they don't know, then nothing has changed. If they do know, and they act like this (as opposed to freaking out on you or something) than it's probably for the best and they probably accept, if not support you.

7. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi ,if your dad stopped his teasing and your mum came out with a statement about "swinging that way" then I would say that they have there suspicions at least.They may well "know" somehow and are giving you the opportunity to say something.

If this "bully guy" gets brought up in conversation again you could just reiterate that you would not date a jerk like him even though he is "good looking".The "good looking" part should provoke some thought or a response.It may well be a good way to get things out in the open without having to initiate the awkward "coming out" speech.

Good luck and keep us posted