1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now or wait?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cinder, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Cinder

Out Status:
    A few people
    First off, I'm on mobile so please excuse any typing mistakes
    I've been thinking hard and long about coming out as non-binary to my parents. I want to but...I'm really unsure. I'm an adopted only child and we've had a mostly stellar relationship most of my life. I'll be going home for Christmas break and I'd love to not spend half a month gritting my teeth through being called daughter. I'm just...worried. Should I wait until next year when I'm done with school and totally independent just in case it goes badly? Or just rip off the bandaid now?

2. setnyx

i think i'd wait for now. especially not when you go home for the holidays.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We should always avoid compromising our stability and security, so if you are uncertain and need your parents support to get you through school, it might not be the best time. Even if you were independent, I would caution you (or anyone) against coming out immediately before Christmas, or on the day itself. It's often a stressful time as people are trying to prepare for a happy family event, so if you add the potential flashpoint of coming out into the mix, it may go badly wrong.

I don't like telling people to wait, because it's a huge emotional burden to carry around, but we sometimes need to ask ourselves if it will make matters a whole lot worse. If you can tough it out for now, it might be worth it.