1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom Problems

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by questions4ever, Dec 2, 2015.

1. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had this conversation recently after coming out to my older brother
    (He was really kind and accepting)

Hey It was great seeing you this weekend. So I've been thinking about what you told me and I want to encourage you to tell mom somewhat soon - obviously it's your decision about when and if you tell them but I think it would make things more comfortable for you in general if you get it out there so mom isn't unnecessarily worrying about you. Just consider it and we can talk about how to do it if and when you want to (if you want my advice or help)

Hey!
    First of all I want to thank you for handling this even better than I could've imagined. I really appreciate it. I've been thinking about your suggestion and I'm not gonna lie I'm not sure I'm ready. I'd prefer to have figured myself out a little more before I tell mom. If I actually thought it would alleviate some of her concern, I would but I'm not sure it will. Any way, when you say some what soon does that mean like before break? And I would very much appreciate your advice concerning when/how.

I think it's makes sense to figure things out for yourself a little more. So I'm not trying to push you to do it as in right now. I do think it will be difficult to tell her regardless and getting it out there is something you should do as soon as you are somewhat comfortable - maybe after your date depending how it goes. The main reason for my comment is mom asked me how our lunch was and I told her it was good and she shouldn't worry about you - that you had told me some of the stuff that was bothering you and I thought you were fine - but I wasn't going to tell her until you wanted to. She said I want to help her but it's hard when she wont tell me anything. So I don't want to push you until you're comfortable but I will say at least in my experience being honest with mom has never gone poorly. I can talk to her first if you want and make sure that she understands that this is serious and to take it seriously and not as some sort of phase or something. I find that response unlikely but I will gladly prep the conversation for you if you want me to. And once again this is your decision and I'm not trying to pressure you to tell her immediately - just make sure you're thinking about when you want to do it because I think your relationship will be strained with mom while she knows you're struggling with something but she doesn't know what

Okay I think that makes good since

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

It's great your brother's so helpful! I'm guessing you want advice on whether or not you should tell your mom soon. Only you can really know. You felt ready to tell your brother. What specifically about your mom makes it so you feel less ready? Just think about those things and maybe that can help you understand how you feel about it. You know your mom best and what her reaction may be. It seems your brother isn't worried about it, but still do what you're comfortable with. Do you want her to know? So you can start opening up to her about it more.
    Just some things to think about, I'm sorry if that didn't help much. But best of luck!<3