1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IndigoA, Dec 3, 2015.

1. IndigoA

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello all!,

I'm going through a pretty stressy time at the moment. I have my mock GCSE exams and I'm also worrying about coming out to my dad.

I've already come out to both of my older sisters but the last person I really really want to tell is my dad but I'm worried of what he would think about it as in the past he has said homophobic comments.

Please help!

2. ANerdWhoCares

Hi! Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

When I came out, my biggest fear was telling my dad. He frequently made homophobic comments around me, and whenever a gay sex scene showed up while we were watching Game of Thrones, he'd make retching noises. Everyone else in my family thought the same way about him, thinking that me being gay would jeopardize our bond as a father and son. Which is why my mom went against my wishes of not telling him, and outed me to him one day at work. It turned out she'd only accomplished breaking my trust by doing that, since he took the news better than she did! :lol: Later he told me that he had no problem with me wanting to love another man, but he made sure i knew some common courtesies to show around him; don't show overzealous displays of affection; and don't bombard him with gay conversation (who i like, whats attractive about them, etc.). Basically as long as i didn't overdo it, he was perfectly okay with it.

If you believe that he wont take it well, here's my advice to you; tell him in a calm neutral place, like a restaurant, or the living room. And just in case shit hits the fan; bring your sisters; if they show you support in front of him, he may feel more encouraged to do the same. :slight_smile:

#2 ANerdWhoCares, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015