1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Unconscious Giving You Away

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Contact1111, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Basically, have you ever had the experience where you basically accidentally gave away your sexuality without meaning to. Often times, people don't say anything and just try to ignore it since you aren't actually saying that you are. Basically, these things have all happened to me. Some of them happened before I even acknowledged it to myself, it was weird.

1) Me When I Was Like 16 With My Mom: You know I really just like girls better...... basically saying I liked guys too without saying it, but for whatever reason liked girls "better". When I think about it that's not something a lot of guys would probably say. However, it just seemed normal to me.

2) Me With My Mom When Discussing Gays: I have nothing against gay people, even though I'm straight. I know I'm straight, because it's more of an emotional thing with women. I'm more attracted to women emotionally. Again, I'm basically saying it without really saying it.

There are others too, these are just two really great examples of it. I don't think I ever really "acted" gay, but I think these things kind of gave it away too. I've had similar moments with my friends, as well before I really fully knew and/or said anything to anyone. I wasn't "hinting" nor did I really know, this was just what happened to come out of my mouth.

#1 Contact1111, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, I don't think I have ever outed myself unconsciously. I did out myself to a friend who I thought knew that I was gay. There was this hot doctor at one of my clinicals and I couldn't help but mutter, "Fucking... Take me. Now."

Later on she asked my friend, "Does Steve like boys???" Lol!

#2 Steve FS, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  3. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Woah, you actually just blurted that out uncontrollably? I didn't know that it was possible for someone to actually blurt something out like that :eek: What did the doctor say to that? It must've been really scary to have said something like that without having even intended to speak :eek: I remember once when I was younger and camping (before I knew anything about my sexuality). This other guy I was camping with just randomly blurted out, "You ever suck on your finger and pretend it's a penis?" Everyone was just kind of like, "What?" but nobody ever said anything to him. It was funny the way me and my Dad used to make jokes about it all the time, and now I get off on the same thing that he must've :slight_smile: Not to take things in a graphic direction, but now I simply think to myself about that....... you'd just use your finger when your thinking about that? Crazy how much people change!

#3 Contact1111, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  4. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha, oh no, the doctor didn't hear me (at least I hope not). He was across the hall and my friend and I were sitting down finishing our paper work for the physical assessments we did earlier in the day.

#4 Steve FS, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  5. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, that's good haha.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The truth is, our unconscious give us away, all the time, on all sorts of things. That's a large part of what makes up gaydar is people's ability to pick up on subtlety. And one of the reasons, when closeted guys are desperately trying to act 'straight' they almost always give themselves away even more because the unconscious clues end up becoming more obvious.

But language slips and Freudian slips are pretty much the same... We all do them now and then.

7. Distant Echo

My biggest risk is getting distracted by someone walking by. I get distracted a lot. I have been known to stop in the middle of a sentence, and came very close to outing myself a few times to my eldest son. I've solved that problem now by coming out to him lol.

8. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was ranting about this girl that I thought wanted to date me but was actually just trying to make her girlfriend jealous at my table. I forgot I wasn't out to one of my friends there. Whoops. :lol:
    She took it well though. I don't think I've had a very negative coming out experience yet. We'll wait and see what people say about my trans-ness.

9. Riz

Riz

I've become so used to talking like it's the most normal thing in the world being pan/bi around my friends. So I've unconsciously been replying to my mother and her bf when they've talked about me "finding a rich guy", that I would prefer a girl as I feel right now thank you.
    However they just kept ignoring it and eventually saying the same thing later again XD

10. Daemon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think yes while I cannot think of any specific circumstances people always think that I'm gay upon meeting me and make it a big deal. I have always told people that I'm straight though even though in reality I'm neither straight or gay I'm bi-sexual. That's why I think there are unconscious clues because even though technically they are wrong they are still on the right track when they don't even know me in the slightest. I personally desperately want people to know but I may never work up the courage to actually say it.

11. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Once I when I took acid, I was at a party, and one of my friends brought up the subject of a guy letting another guy blow them. The other guys that were there basically said no they wouldn't do it, and one seemed to really express disgust at the idea of doing this. I also said, "Well, I mean I'd rather a girl do it but that could be good too." I seemed kind of enthusiastic and unlike the other guys I was not the least bit uncomfortable with the idea. Then, people were just kind of silent and I just tried to shift the topic by saying, "That was kind of a weird conversation." Then, the conversation just shifted to other things and none of my friends ever brought it up again. It wasn't mentioned, but I'm sure they didn't really forget either.

#11 Contact1111, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  12. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

I am really good at talking in my sleep. you ask me a question and i will give you an answer related to the dream I'm having.

when i was in year 5 and 6, my class went to this place called Stotestan (probably made a spelling error) for a week and while i'm the last to go to sleep, I'm also the last to wake up. i was told i said some "incriminating things". keep in mind i had already realized and accepted my sexuality, it was around then people started questioning my sexuality. I'm pretty sure i said something.

the way act gives it also gives it way away but right now I'm safe because there's this girl who sits next to me in English, french, RE, history and geography. we get along really well, we have to and now the WHOLE school (including teachers) say that we are going out or at least should be. it's getting annoying now.

13. YinYang

Once, a friend was showing me an Instagram picture that said "A beautiful girl is reading this right now" with a heart and I blurted out "I'm not a girl, but thank you". She immediately asked what I identified as and I said agender and she said cool. So... that was that.

14. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I was in a class during college and i kind of saw a guy in my class lean down to pick something up...i stared too long and I swear a guy across the room saw me do it.

oh yeah and then there was the time when i was in high school and i was in an english class and we were researching poets and i commented on one of the poets appearances and the guy working with me was like "what, are you gay?" I totally denied it (I had also not realised I was gay back then)

15. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think I stare at people a lot in a really obvious way and I don't realize it. Or I do realize it but think I'm being subtle when really I'm just non-stop staring at them and it's obvious to everyone I'm with.
    Like recently a certain waitress at a restaurant when I was just with my mom and I'm pretty sure I was staring/looking for her like 80% of the time.

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2015 at 08:27 PM ----------

And one time my sister and I looked up this actress to see what she looked like today and my mom was in the room and as soon as the picture came up I went "Wow! She looks really good" in a pretty obvious way I think.

#15 bubbles123, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  16. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Another thing I just thought of:
    In fourth grade, I went to this after school event and I went in this crowded cafeteria and as soon as I saw my friend who was a girl I ran up to her and tried to kiss her right no the mouth. She realized it I think and started pushing me away. I tried to play it off like I was trying to do something else but it was really awkward.