1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Venting Frustration (Long post, shield your eyes!)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HeronsStorm, Jan 22, 2009.

1. HeronsStorm

So, this is my first time posting at this site... Hi! I was looking for a support site for a friend of mine who's just 'come out of the closet' to me, and I found this. It looked pretty good so I decided to join it.

Anyway, on to why I'm posting on the Support and Advice board, mostly just to vent and get it off my chest. At school among my friends I'm basically known as the... Listener, I guess is the best way to describe it. I'm the friend that always keeps a level head and keeps their lips zipped when it comes to secrets. They come to me with their problems, I promise not to tell anyone, and they get out their frustrations/fears/angers/sadness to me. Usually then I give them advice and all is happy and wonderful again.

My trouble is, I do like being the Listener, but I don't have anyone to talk too. I'm generally a very disconnected person and brush my emotions into the closet, I have a very harsh belief that they will make me weak. I generally have one person who vents to me the most, we joke that she's my sister though we look NOTHING alike. But she vents to me often and goes through depression, anger, all the bad stuff a lot. Sometimes I find myself thinking "You KNOW what you're doing wrong, you KNOW it's going to make you feel bad later, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU NOT LEARNING THE FIRST TIME?". Not that I actually say that. Now I'm starting to pick up on it, and I find I can get depressed when she's like this, or my emotions (which are supposed to be ignored) go on freak out and I turn into a wreck.

Usually I can handle this, I snap out of it after about two days of not sleeping and running around like a maniac looking for something I can't find. But now, the closet-friend I mentioned earlier is looking to me for some support. Understandably, friends do that. I told him about a year ago that I thought I dug chicks too, and he was a little shocked. We still got along though, even though I would get annoyed because he would make rude remarks about gay people. Tuesday he pulled me to the side and told me that he was gay. I was in shock for the rest of the day.

I’m fine with it, of course. Actually, while I would never wish for someone to go through what most gay people do, it’s such a relief to have someone to talk to about it. He’s the only one I had ever admitted I possibly liked other girls to, and I never talked to anyone about it. Even my sister (that’s how I will refer to her as) doesn’t know. The only reason I refer to myself as bisexual, is because I’m afraid that if I say I’m lesbian, which is a higher possibility, the guy I want to be with will come along. Then what am I? But it’s my brother (once again, not actually related, but close enough to call him this.) I’m really worried about.

See, I’ve only known about my sexuality for about a year and a half. He’s known for FOUR years. He thinks he’s going to hell, and his parents are very Christian. One quote I heard him say his parents said, “Just call them faggots and drive them out of the country”. God, that hurt him so bad. He’s afraid his parents are going to kick him out if he tells them he’s gay. I’m considering recommending him to a consular, I gave him a book I thought he would relate to well (The God Box), and I sent him the link to this site. I want to cry for him.

I had the same thing with my Grandpa, the whole verbal thing, just not as bad. He was driving me home yesterday and we were talking about my brother and being gay, he says. “Well, you don’t have to worry about your sexual glands. Our family runs straight. I’m not sure whether or not God made our family that way, but hopefully he’ll keep it that way.” Meanwhile, I’m CRINGING in the back. I felt like I was going to be sick.

I guess… I don’t know, I probably just needed to tell someone about how frustrated I feel. This seemed like the perfect place to do it without having to worry about anyone from school recognizing me. Heh, that was a long post, felt good to get it off my chest somewhat though.

2. ilovelife

That's great you feel good now that you got if off your chest. Maybe you could tell your friend that he needs to live his life and do what makes him happy. If his family really loves him (which I'm assuming they do) then they will eventually come around and accept him for who he is. Good idea with the book and the link to this site. :]

3. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Welcome to EC!

I think it's great that you've been so supportive for your friend, and you've done well in recommending the book and this site to him. And I hope posting has helped you in some way too, feel free to vent whenever you want, we won't hold you to just being a listener

It's tough when you know that family have issues with gay people. In most cases it's just because it's something foreign to them. But you and your friend shouldn't change who you are because someone else might not like it, as ilovelife says, give them time and hopefully they will accept it.

Of course, that is if you're ready to come out. There's no rush, there's no rush identifying yourself either, you may at one point only like girls and then feelings develop for a guy, just go with the flow, don't get stuck into labelling yourself at this early stage.

4. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been the "listener" in the past as well - and I actually really enjoy it but I agree you got to vent. This is a great place to start, the people here are absolutely amazing. But I think it is good to seek out a friend in real life that is willing to listen as well.

On your friend and homophobia
    First off I know what its like to think that way - I in all honesty was that way but just remind him he's a child of God...made in God's image. God would not throw out someone he loves - the problem is in how people interpret the Bible not that God hates him.
    So yeah, just be sure to love him and keep an eye on him.
    But ultimately just keep on doing what your doing....its sounds like your being an absolutely terrific friend.

I think that generation of people(referring to your grandfather) is definitely more homophobic. My grandfather called me a fag for just wanting to get blond highlights in my hair - that really hurt. But at the same time, I'm sure he loves you. I'm always suprised when I read testimonies by parents/grandparents of GLBT of how far they have turned around. A good example is Prayers for Bobby(almost out woot!!). It's just heartbreaking though that it wasn't in time.