1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JUST say your bi or straight and not complicate things

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Amethie, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Amethie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello

I consider myself a pan-romantic gray-sexual person, however one of the extremely few people i have come out to thinks i am over-complicating things and I am either JUST bi and have imagined the graysexuality. i really feel a lot more comfortable with panromantic graysexual even though it is tiring to explain and confusing to most people however the reaction i have got makes me think i should say i am 'just bi' and would also save time explaining and confusing people. does anyone else like me think like this?

2. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First, only you know your sexuality. You should always call yourself what you feel comfortable identifying with. But I do understand the difficulty of such things.

I'd say that to people you don't know well, saying you are bisexual is perfectly fine. It says "I have an interest in men and women" which is all your orientation will mean to most people. But for people you're close to? There's no reason you shouldn't be honest, if you identify that way and are comfortable telling them.

If you want a mid-way point I guess you could say "bisexual, but mostly just romantic feelings"? Although I'm sorry, I'm not 100% sure how you define greysexual to be more accurate.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

3. Amethie

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is a good idea, what was disappointing was this person was someone I thought was a close friend hence one of the few i came out to and sort of because he is gay and suspecting that I wasn't straight, I did not expect him to react in this way and it sort of makes me reluctant to bring up these terms :frowning2:

Also thank you for that phrase 'bisexual with mostly romantic feelings' sounds like a pretty good definition. I tend to have 'falling in love' feelings before any sexual ones and if I do have sexual feelings they tend to be overpowered by romantic ones or 'lower' than what I would assume is normal.

4. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, unfortunately sometime people just don't understand. But I guess it's hard to understand what you've never experienced? If they've always felt sexual attraction to people they've had romantic feelings for they can't distinguish it.

In a group of my friends, 2 of us have anxiety and another had depression, and the 4th made a flippant comment about "What mental health disease would you have? Mine would be manic depression coz I'm like crazy and then sad, and my mum would be OCD cause she's always cleaning" and she knows about all of us...She just doesn't quite get than anxiety is more than just worrying, and depression is more than being a bit down not to mention not really getting bi-polar and OCD.

Sexuality is kind of the same. You don't fully appreciate the difference or the struggle unless you've gone through it or someone close has. It's easy for most people who've questioned as they've thought about the difference more and examined their feelings more, but for some it's so obvious they can't see why it's not for others. I guess some people see the world a little like it's in back and white. It's a bit more complicated than that.

Sorry. Got a bit serious there!

#4 CuriousArticles, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  5. Riz

Riz

I identify similar and just say I'm pansexual which I often have to explain but it's easy "I fall for people not gender" and there's no more discussion with that.
    I don't feel like I have to explain that I don't really feel any sexual attraction unless a topic needs it to be said. Which rarely happens. If it does, people have just shurged.

If you're causal about it, others are usually too :3

6. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm bisexual. My attraction has always been the person not the orientation.

7. shadowraptor

Personally, I identify as demibiromantic homosexual - although in a few cases I would, to an extent, be willing to enter into a non-sexual relationship with a girl provided I am incredibly close to her, I am most strongly attracted to guys both romantically and physically to the extent that I don't see myself in a relationship with a girl anytime soon.

Sexuality can unite us, but fitting into a particular category can be limiting as well. It's much easier for me to say that I'm gay - and for the most part, I am. I'm about as close to a six as you can get on the Kinsey scale without being a six - that extra little label makes me more comfortable and helps me explain those infrequent attractions. As it has been said above, only you can define your sexuality; only you can come up with a label to make you comfortable.

You do you. :kiss:

#7 shadowraptor, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  8. Amethie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone :grin:

9. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Look, I know it is true that you are panromantic graysexual, but you don't have to show it to everyone. Make it easier to understand and process for those people that are not so comprehensive or those that are not staying too long in your life. Try something like
    Pansexual. Just that. Not everyone needs to know that you are greysexual, and some don't even care! Remember that Pansexual also means that you can be attracted romantically. So that is my advice! Leave it as simple as you can for those people. I do that.