1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smokin'

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cromig, Jan 22, 2009.

1. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    some ppl find it gross, i dont my bf does it and so do i.
    but my mom asked me if i did. she was pissed.
    but i said no, and she still knew i lied.
    how do i deal with this :***:?

2. Pendrin2020

Own up. I quite last summer and if your mom doesn't smoke, then she knows that you do. Smokers reek. even light to casual smokers do.

3. JT

JT

Well, I mean you're of age, so...
    I know it's hard to quit, I smoke too. But maybe if you feel that would make your mom happy, you should. It's a personal call, she can't tell you what you can and cannot do in that regard.

4. Ben

Ben

She seems to know you smoke, so maybe admit to it. I'm presuming you mean cigarettes so it's nothing illegal and you're old enough to make your own decisions now, even if she doesn't agree with it. Maybe if you talk to her about it and give consideration to what she says, then it might all be okay. :slight_smile:

5. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    well its against her religion to smoke so thats why i think she is so upset. i mean i really dont care.... i might be leaving soon anyway :slight_smile:

6. Miles D

smoking is disgusting, makes you smell bad, costs a lot of money. and it kills you.
    quit.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Knowing that she is against it, I think it would have been better if you would have been up front about it and listened to her as well.

Smoking is one of those habits that you want to kick in the butt, otherwise it is going to kick you in the butt, one day. Yes it is your choice but also think about your health and the consequences every time you light up a smoke.

8. TheRoof

i know its totally ur decision, but plz dont smoke!!
    serioiusly if u care about ur health, you'll wanna stop smoking.

9. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Don't smoke! Don't date someone who does!

Problem solved!

10. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    1st off thanks for the advice. but i mean i really like this guy, and him/me smoking doesnt bother me/him. and i know the dangers of it. fully aware of them. its dealing with my mom thats the problem.
    she doesnt have the most open mind... why i still havent came out to her. so i mean this might be a slow and easy way to ease into telling her? just a sudden thought. i mean like, this is one of the million things she doesnt know about me. idk if anyone will get that lol just a sudden brain thought.

11. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Thats her problem to deal with, not yours.

Theres alot worse things than smoking! Unless your doing those things aswell.

I was brought up around it at a young age, my mum smoked, but dad didn't. Mum offered when i was 12ish to try a smoke, and i'm glad she did, made me never want to smoke!

12. Pendrin2020

"Mom, *sigh* I'm a Gay, Smoker."

You sure you wanna do it like that?

Start with coming out and then move on to the cigarettes.

13. missmelancholy

Out Status:
    Some people
    She knows, so there is no point in lying about it. Just try to be respectful and don't do it in her face/around her. My mum was obviously unhappy about it, but the choice was mine and not hers. And while she will not buy me smokes and it certainly is not allowed in the house, she appreciated my honesty. Like stated above, the smell makes it impossible to hide from a nonsmoker.

About coming out... that's a whole different thing. Be honest about the cigarettes first. Work your way up coming out when you are ready to. Probably after you grow comfortable in just confessing the very obvious first.

14. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hahah i ment it the other way, i smoke. and then ease into im gay haha but yeah. 's what im hopeing

15. Greenhouse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not gonna slap the usual "don't smoke !!!11 rubish" because that's really not helpful.

If you enjoy smoking, comprehend the risks it implies, then by no means should I tell you to stop (Im a smoker myself and really don't see the big deal about it. Smokers don't "reek" if they brush their teeth and change clothes (gasp ! the horror!) ). But be informed.

Basically, just don't smoke in front of your mom but don't be ashamed of it. I'm guessing you're clearly not doing that anyway. Non issue here.
    Then again being french probably helps since over here in Paris everyone, their mother and their dog smokes xD

16. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    sounds dtupid but how much should i brush 'em? like everythimr after i somke?

17. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    my mom just bent down for a goodnight kiss and smelled the smoke. she was like who were you hanging out with that smoked today. i said no1. she was like are we going to have this convo right now. i was like no cuz theres nothing to talk about. she turns to me and says "i thought you were smarter"

18. someguy82

Smoking is one of life's little pleasures that's going to take me forever to finally quit. I quit for a year, but after starting up law school I started smoking again.

19. Greenhouse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh you will always keep the smell of the smoke for a little while after smoking, theres no evading that (except i guess, if you showered, brushed and changed clothes right after, but thats not even remotely possible), but it fades after a few minutes / hours depending on whether you're in a closed space or not.
    If you smoke indoors, make sure to open a window, it helps the stench not getting into your clothes.
    Brushing (2x a day min) will mainly prevent your teeth from going yellow and your breath from remaining dodgy. If you don't take care of your moth hygiene you will definitely have a terrible breath even when not smoking (or right after).

20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like she knows, and telling her that you don't smoke probably won't help - she sounds pretty certain. It might be best to just be honest with her.