1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Greenhouse, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Greenhouse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello EC,

So basically right now I'm out to my friends only, my (divorced) parents probably have significant doubts but I've never brought it up yet. But that's not the issue

Earlier on today, i was talking to my mom and at some point she mentioned my brother (2 years younger than I am) had done some kind of huge fuckup and that she had learnt from it on facebook (don't ask, I didn't quite get it either, she wouldn"t go into it). I didn't know what she was talking about since I'm not very close to my brother.

So anyway, didn't think about it till i logged on to FB a few hours ago and thought i'd check my brother's profile (hes not in my friendlist though so only saw his limited profile). And there it was: Interested in Men and Women.

Now I don't know if my mom was referring to that, (I doubt it, she's rather tolerant) but still, it means she knows about it.
    But the obvious problem is, my brother and I being her only children, how am I supposed to come out to her and not completely devastate her by letting her know that well, both her sons are gay ? (or bi perhaps for my brother)

So I was hoping someone here could throw me some kind of advice on how to approach the situation, I'd be really thankful. I'm going to have a talk with my brother anyway to clarify it a bit.

Thanks for reading

2. kramer362

Are you close with your brother? You could try asking him what happened, and about him being interested in men, maybe even come out to him. It seems odd you wouldn't be friends with your brother on facebook..

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that really how you feel your mother feels? That her main purpose in having you two was simply to "carry on the line", and now it's your responsibility to breed more of 'em?

My mother wants grandkids - I ain't gonna lie. But she feels it's much more important that I be happy. Hopefully your mother is the same.

Lex