1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell if it's a good idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IDont Say Aboot, Dec 9, 2015.

1. IDont Say Aboot

Hiii... I have really been wanting to come out to a lot of people recently, but I'm really scared and have no idea how a lot of them will react. Does anybody have any idea how to tell? Obviously there's no surefire way since people are not programs, but like a way to tell if someone is likely to respond well. Thanks!

2. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The most common advice I've seen is to bring up recent LGBT news and see what the person has to say. This is a large part of how I've gauged my parents' thoughts, since it isn't the sort of thing we'd bring up as part of a normal conversation.
    To be honest, I don't know much of Canadian news, but it looks like you've had a few LGBT officials elected up there in the past few months? As far as American news, they may have heard about Caitlyn Jenner's transition.

Anything else LGBT-related and relevant could also be a conversation starter... for example, at my high school there were occasional GSA posters that popped up, so if I walked by one with a friend I might have asked "What's that for?" or "What do you think of this club?"

Another method is to simply ask something like "Hey, what would you think if I turned out to be [gay, trans, bi, insert whatever here]?"-- which I think is a potentially risky approach, but if they have a bad reaction you can always pass it off as "I was just joking!"

3. IDont Say Aboot

I like those ideas! Thanks, I'll probably at least give the first one a try. Maybe the second one if it's not working. :slight_smile:

4. guitar

See how people respond to lgbt topics and people. If they're fine with those topics, you're probably fine to come out to them. Invent a hypothetical gay friend or talk about a news story and gauge their reactions.