1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Publicly

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ochoaj, Dec 10, 2015.

1. ochoaj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm in a bit of a crisis in my coming out situation.

First of all, I'm out as bisexual to my mom, brother, and about 4-7 of my closest friends. I have been wanting to come out publicly since I came out to my family in July, but the problem is, my mom is uncomfortable talking about it since she doesn't really understand what or how bisexuality really is and how it works.

I'm in 11th grade, and my mom is a teacher at the same school I go to, so if I were to come out, people may confront her about sexuality issues, when she really doesn't care for other's sexual orientation (she believes it should be private information). I don't want to make her uncomfortable, but people are beginning to ask me if I'm gay or bi. I am tired of holding this in and I have been waiting long enough to be able to come out.

I live in Orange County, which is like the only Conservative-majority county on the coast, so I understand that there may be some people who will try and harass me about my sexuality, but I know enough about it to not really care about what other people say. I have an amazing group of friends who are loving, accepting, and just good people in general.

So the point is that I don't know how to convince my mom to let me express myself for who I really am and not be sheltered in the 'straight' bubble anymore. It's causing me to grow more and more anxious about everything like the way I talk, the way I use my hands, the way I move in general, etc. It's just becoming a bit overwhelming. Also junior is a pain in the ass already, so I don't need this to stand in the way as well.

Thanks a bunch!

2. ANerdWhoCares

If this bothers you so much, then just be open about it. I know thats easier said than done, but its really that simple. By keeping you in the "straight bubble," as you put it, you're sacrificing your own happiness just to give your mom some peace of mind. She'll have to be comfortable with you being publicly out and proud one day, and its better that it comes sooner than later. She's your mother, if people confront her about your sexuality, she's going to defend you and support you until hell freezes over. My own mom doesn't really understand my choice to be an openly gay sophomore, and she doesn't really like me talking about it either, but she doesn't try to change me, and i wouldn't have it any other way.
    Be who you are, and don't live your life for others, live it for yourself. :slight_smile: