1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Secrets5, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I hate coming out, I think it's pointless and people should know. Although I know that's silly, as nobody knows who you are until you tell them - nobody should assume anything so in theory even cis-het people should come out. I'm not telling anyone about my sexuality, not because I'm scared, but because that's none of their business, unless they want to date me. But people use my gender to talk to me in everyday life, and that needs to be sorted. So I'm thinking for my birthday, it'll be my 18th. I have two options; get drunk and tell them, or create a booklet of all the different types of gender/sexuality and then tell them mine.

I've decided to go with the latter, seems less messy even if they reject me. At least I'd remember that they'd rejected me. But does anyone else think this is a good idea? I know I should follow with what I think, but I've been wrong about ideas I think are good in the past.

It's also worth mentioning my exams are May-June time, so if they'd reject me, I could be anywhere for my exams. The time I can think after that is when I'm in a foreign country [gap year] so if they do reject me I'll be far away and I can leave the phone somewhere far away from me so I don't have to hear their words.

Thank-you.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the booklet idea is great, as it would explain a lot to people that have only met cis people.
    In my limited experience most people are in inclined to be understanding if they are more informed about the subject.
    Some times subtlety checking out their attitudes on the subject can give you an idea of what the reaction might be!
    Either way best of luck!

3. Repona

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Very creative idea. Really.. like reeeeeally wish I'd thought of that a couple months ago. When I realized I was gay, I just kind of bluntly started to tell my family members one by one. No one flat out rejected me, but some did advise me to seek psychological counseling, which may have been worse. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Regardless, good luck and let us know how it went!!

#3 Repona, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015