1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well crap...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mental, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Me and my mother were looking through my backpack to find a check, but when she pulled out two books from it about homosexuality, she seemed pretty upset. I explained to her that I was doing a paper for school about homosexuality vs. religion (which is true), and she seemed a bit less upset. A little later though she asked me what the website was that had been open on my computer (two words, first starts with e, second starts with c, can you guess what website?). I just told her that it was some forum thing. Now I'm just thinking...oh....shit. What do I do? Should I just leave it as is and just never mention ever?

2. girlonline

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi! :slight_smile: Firstly, I understand why you're stressed, I would be too. Take a deep breath and calm down, being anxious won't do you any good.

Well I think it depends if you want to/are prepared/are comfortable with coming out to your mother or possibly others (if she decides to tell other people). If so, go ahead and explain to her, slowly and cautiously, about the fact that you identify as Bisexual and tell her about this website if you want. Tell her you wanted support and to chat with others who are going through the same thing as you. Just tell her the honest truth, or leave some things out, basically whatever you're comfortable telling her or other people, say that. If she appears to become agitated, stop and do your best to sort things out. If she seems fine with it, continue. It's you choice at the end of the day, and you know your own mother best, so you'll know how she'll react.

On the other hand, if you decide you're not ready to come out to her yet, don't. Only tell her when you're 100% comfortable and prepared for whatever her reaction may be. If you don't want to tell her, just try and not mention it as much as possible, and hopefully she'll forget all about it. If she does bring it up again, you could always say you're on this website to help research for your paper?? Or you could say you have a friend who's LGBT+ and came on here to support your friend?? The last one may not be as believable, especially if it's not true :grin: Personally I would just say you're simply researching for your paper, and hopefully she'll be pleased with that :slight_smile:

I really hope I helped somehow, and I'm sorry this was quite long!! :grin:
    Goodluck!!

3. ANerdWhoCares

Yikes! Talk about being put on the spot!

No need to panic though, it sounds like she buys your story about the paper. But it couldn't hurt to have a backup plan if she brings it up again.

I very much agree with girlonline's advice, but I have a few notes I'd like to add. There's a possibility she'll ask to see the paper once it's done, so be prepared to have one to show her if you choose to stick to that story. Lies can only get you so far! :eusa_liar I don't know the religious situation, or moral beliefs of your mom, so if coming out to her will put you in jeopardy in any way; DON'T. If you feel the need to tell someone, find a close friend at school that can back you up if shit hits the fan. Hang in there! It'll get better! (&&&)

4. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a few simple rules to coming out:
    1 NEVER do it if it feels like it may put you at risk in anyway.

2 if you do want to come out find someone kind and accepting like a good friend or sibling.

3 peoples opinions change. Your parents obviously love you and your mum probably just doesn't know how to react to this kind of situation.
    4 finally the golden rule is to only come out when you are 100% ready.

I wish you the best of luck as I am at a similar point in my sexuality "journey". This was just some of the good advice people have given me, hope you find it helpful :grin:

#4 Nordland, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015