1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my grade/school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DemiLiHue, Dec 12, 2015.

1. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! Im Genderqueer, recently found it. I want to stop being misgendered and stuff. So I planed to come out to my mom in february, and then come out to all my classmates, but I dont really know how! I planned to send a come out letter (to the grade's chat) or maybe just… help. I dont know what to do!!

2. ANerdWhoCares

Perhaps coming out to the ENTIRE class all at once isn't the best idea. Personally, I'd recommend telling close friends that would support you first, and progress to the rest of the class as a whole later on. :slight_smile:

3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I forgot to mention that I have told my close friends, and they are totally ok with that! Do you think I should proceed?

4. ANerdWhoCares

If you truly believe it's something you need to do, by all means go ahead. But know the risks, some people will disagree with what you are, and may not react in a positive way. When you're LGBT+ in middle/high school, a good policy to live by is "if they don't ask, don't tell them." Before I came out to my entire grade during a speech on anti-gay prejudice (story here if you want to read it: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/197158-i-may-ready.html), I would just correct people when they brought it up. For example;
    Friend: "so ____(real name), are you and ________(girl who lots of people speculated was my girlfriend) dating?"
    Me: "no. That would never happen."
    Friend: "aw c'mon man, why?"
    Me: "*smirks* Cuz I like dudes."

Better safe than sorry, just in case some people don't take it well, or didn't want to know.

5. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mh, I-I guess you're right...? But... I kinda think this is different... This is about gender. And it hurts me being misgendered or looking so much like a girl. Do you think that even then... It would be a bad idea?

6. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Middle/high school is a battleground coming from my experience.Most of the class seems to be against lgbt people and I would never come out to the class,maybe on my last day ever in school before college. And that still mightn't be the best idea because I don't want to lose my best friend. All the above advice is good and if you want follow it.If you feel it is a must that you have to come out to your class by all meansdo but please ask yourself what or who will you lose when you do? You could lose friends and you could be bullied. You could be brave and come out to all if then but I don't think the world has come that far yet.There will still be a lot of people against lgbt but thankfully the world is changing :slight_smile:

Best Of Luck,
    TheBiBoy

7. Gay1234

I agree with biboy. I'm in his class and it would be a killer for me to come out to them. Just if you know any phobic people just for come out to them as you would be bullied.

Good Luck,
    Gay1234

8. ANerdWhoCares

Fair point, but gender or sexuality, the risks are still the same. People can be assholes sometimes, no matter what the reason. It's a good idea to be honest with yourself and others, and I encourage you to make who you are public. Just be cautious. (*hug*)

9. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks (*hug*) I'll wait for the right moment.